Irrlicht-1.4 works on cygwin

A forum to store posts deemed exceptionally wise and useful
mhack

Irrlicht-1.4 works on cygwin

Post by mhack »

I've been away from Irrlicht for a while and am now back again for some game development fun. Previously I was a MinGW fan, but in the interim I've switched to Cygwin because I think it's better supported.

So I wanted to see if I could build Irrlicht under Cygwin. After running into some problems initially, I looked in the forum for help but didn't see many recent posts about Cygwin. After a little more work I was able to get it to build, along with the 01.HelloWorld example.

Here are the fairly minor changes that worked for me, in case anyone else runs into similar problems:

1. In the Irrlicht Makefile under 'Windows specific options', in the 'sharedlib_win32 staticlib_win32:' target for CPPFLAGS:

remove: '-DIRR_COMPILE_WITH_DX9_DEV_PACK'
add: '-mno-cygwin'

2. Download and extract the SDL source tarball from the libsdl.org site, then in Cygwin build and install it in <some_dir>

3. Add '-L <some_dir>/lib' before -lSDL in the 'sharedlib_win32:' target for LDFLAGS in the Irrlicht Makefile

4. Do 'make all_win32' in 01.HelloWorld

5. Assuming the Irrlicht lib built ok, go to the examples/01.HelloWorld directory and add a 'all_win32: CPPFLAGS += -mno-cygwin' line, and then do a 'make all_win32'.

------------
I'm very happy to see that Irrlicht remains pretty simple to build on multiple platforms and am looking forward to checking out the new stuff in 1.4. Keep up the good work!
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

If you want to sue the SDL device you'll also have to enable the define for it. Either add -D_IRR_USE_SDL_DEVICE_ or edit IrrCompileConfig.h