Caracter movement tip/Trick

A forum to store posts deemed exceptionally wise and useful
Johan

Caracter movement tip/Trick

Post by Johan »

hey everyone ,first off i would like to say im a new irrlicht user well for about 2 weeks now and i realy like it , its my second engine i have tried out .im impressed so far .my first engine was some tv3d version and i must say that im actualy getting results with irrlicht. not that im saying tv3ds bad but that irrlicht just does it for me .anyway im busy putting my imagination to work on a 3rd person based game and thought i would drop some advice in the forum which i think sumone would find usefull. okay so you have your caracters walk animated and your moving him around in the 3d world but it looks like he is sliding around and not actualy stepping .well what i did was measured the distance a foot traveled in a whole step ,within my 3d modeling app .u take that distance and for every frame within the walking animation where the caracter took a complete step forward you move him forward by that distance .there will be a frame or 2 where he wont move, for example when the feet are together after each step if u did it correct. and another trick i used was to retrieve the head bone node and set it as my cameras target ,you get a kind of bobbing effect .all put together it realy gives a nice walking experience.
compulsive compiler
Dark_Kilauea

Post by Dark_Kilauea »

I can't read what you posted, but it sounds like you are asking a question?

If so, your post belongs in Beginner's Help or Advanced Help.
rogerborg wrote:Every time someone learns to use a debugger, an angel gets their wings.
Johan

Post by Johan »

nope.no question.bad to use cellphone 4 post i guess.
compulsive compiler
night_hawk

Post by night_hawk »

The trick with the head bobbing sounds nice! I'll try it out. Thanks.
Johan

Post by Johan »

Thanx nighthawk .well smoothness would depend on how smooth the headbone was animated but i guess you could always try and smooth the camera with code somehow .but anyway mine came out realy nice.it puts more accent on the steps when the camera catches that bouncey motion of the head.
compulsive compiler