New terrain scene node

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki

Do you find this node useful?

Yes!
82%
Kinda
9%
No!
9%

Total votes: 22

bal

Post by bal »

Really runs smooth now! 520FPS here. I really like this thingy, except from the part that you see all the little tiles (but that's so with every terrain). For the rest, I really like it :)
General Tools List
General FAQ
System: AMD Barton 2600+, 512MB, 9600XT 256MB, WinXP + FC3
Asterisk Man

Post by Asterisk Man »

I know what you mean, but I cant fix that unless you want vertices to be interpolated from between height map values, which would add a crapload of triangles per fram, not to mention making the LOD calculation rather annoying :(
Peter Müller

Post by Peter Müller »

Really good work! I'm very interested in this project! Will you release the source?
When do you think will it be possible, to set a floor texture (like in the Irrlicht Terrain Scene Node) under your great detail map implementation?
http://www.games-forge.de - Die Community für Nachwuchsprogrammierer
Asterisk Man

Post by Asterisk Man »

I will release the source when the node's ready :D (when im done making the triangle selector, making it eat less memory, and some bells and whistles).

As for texture, It's just a matter of changing the TCoords for each vertex (done at loading time), so that the terrain is rendered with the appropiate mapping, instead of just tiling it, like in the demo. The problem with this setup, is that for large maps, the texture tends to get all streched until it's barely recognizable, which I find very annoying. This problem also makes light maps look horrible if they're the same size as the original terrain, because the same diffuse color is added to the vertex * the size multiplier, so you can literally see each and every pixel there was on the light map :(

I'm also trying to learn about Cg programming (I know as little about this as I knew about terrain rendering a month ago) so as to try to use it to make te terrain less spiky and more rounded, so that it looks nicer, without adding all the cpu overhead adding extra vertices would make. I read somewhere that Cg is being implemented in Irrlicht, is it true?
PeterM^LoggedOff

Post by PeterM^LoggedOff »

Good working! Still very interested!
dingo

Post by dingo »

1609 tris --- 369fps

NV35
(5900XT with 128 meg RAM)
-= Want your C code to control real life robots? www.users.on.net/~symes =-
Peter Müller

Post by Peter Müller »

Will it be possible to set an Terrain texture and a detail texture, in your release version?
LordNaikon

Post by LordNaikon »

please say yes :D
q|^.^|p beeing every time friendly to everyone
sys: 2500+Barton 512MB 6600GT WinXP
Asterisk Man

Post by Asterisk Man »

terrain texture i know what it is, detail texture? I'd have to learn about it first... but sure!

Right now I'm redoing the rendering function, because as it turns out, it was only giving 2 LODs, because it was not subdividing squares smaller than 4x4. This fix should take me 2-3 more days, then I can set out to work on the triangle selector, which should be fairly easy to create, and this detail map u guys are talking about :)
Peter Müller

Post by Peter Müller »

A Terrain texture is stretched all over the terrain, while a detail texture is layn above it (with transparence, of cause) to show... the details :D
Asterisk Man

Post by Asterisk Man »

sounds fairly easy to implement. However, remember that the vertices offer either one or 2 TCoords, so it's either light map and texture, or texture and detail texture, at least until we can use more TCoords :(
Peter Müller

Post by Peter Müller »

hmm, perhaps Irrlicht 0.7 will help, otherwise you'll have to make a new terrain texture, manuell, on which the detail map is blended on the stretched terrain texture.
Asterisk Man

Post by Asterisk Man »

You know, I'd really like to do that, except that I still dont understand the lokc and unlock method used for images and textures :( (Im probably just retarded in that way lol).

EDIT: After thinking about it a lil bit Peter, if I blended the detail texture with the strecht texture, wouldn't the detail texture get stretched?
Last edited by Asterisk Man on Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
thesmileman

Post by thesmileman »

aren't the lock and unlock methods just basic semaphorers?
Peter Müller

Post by Peter Müller »

After thinking about it a lil bit Peter, if I blended the detail texture with the strecht texture, wouldn't the detail texture get stretched?
No. Only the terrain texture is stretched. And the detail map is blendet over it, by repeating it.
In the end, there's a very large terrain texture.