Little Havok and Irrlicht integration demo.

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
benny53

Little Havok and Irrlicht integration demo.

Post by benny53 »

I had originally intended to post this a month back or more, but I had forgotten to >.>

Anyhow, I have a little demo of using Havok in Irrlicht. It uses Irrlicht 1.4.1 and the current release of Havok. I haven't integrated Havok Animation as of yet, but I can look into that if I get enough response from this.

Basically this demo takes place in a rather well known setting, with a few boxes ( one I was to lazy to reposition so it'll leave the broad phase border and will give a warning, but it just fixes the entity so no worries ) and a character controller implemented with the fps camera ( also includes jumping ).

The aim for this is just to give an idea of how to use Havok with Irrlicht. I had started a library a while back to make it easy to integrate Havok with Irrlicht, but I had gotten annoyed at character controllers as I designed them poorly and would have to recode them, which I did not in fact feel like doing.

Now, without further ado, I give you the example hosted on media fire:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=2b27 ... f616773e2d

Hope you can learn from this. If demand is high enough I shall restart development on IrrHk I suppose. Cheers ^^
JP

Post by JP »

Wouldn't run for me, the ol' 'try reinstalling' popup so.. something to do with MSVC redistributibles? Though i've got a few versions of MSVC installed.
Image Image Image
benny53

Post by benny53 »

huh, thats odd. There was issues with people running my debug executable so I had to build in release mode, but I had apparently forgotten to do that. Did you compile it yourself or did you run the debug executable?

Ok, I just uploaded a release build if you want to try that.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=2b27 ... ea1f11f3e3

If that doesn't work then I'm confused, as that release build has worked on other pcs.
JP

Post by JP »

Yeah that one works. It was the debug build i was running before as that was all that was available and i couldn't rebuild it as i don't have havok installed.

A simple example but seems to work very nicely so well done! A useful addition to help people use Havok.

I wouldn't use it myself but i would urge you to continue developing something like IrrHk as i really think it would be useful to a lot of people!
Image Image Image
benny53

Post by benny53 »

Ahh, ok then.

Thanks. I might keep working on it. It depends on school and all that for the most part. But if I find time I will. I already had work done on it before, so I can just start from there.
Darktib

Post by Darktib »

This sound very good but I cannot run both the realease and the debug because the dll is incorrect (side by side configuration incorrect...)
benny53

Post by benny53 »

Hm, that is odd. What OS do you have? Perhaps that is part of the problem here.
benny53

Post by benny53 »

Ok, well, I've done a bit of work on IrrHk. I'm not really sure if this is a style you people would like, but what I have so far is this ( this is a simple program I made to test ):

Code: Select all

irr::IrrlichtDevice* device;
irr::physics::dynamics::IWorld* world;
irr::scene::ICameraSceneNode* cameraNode;
irr::scene::ISceneNode* level;
CustomEventReceiver* recv;
irr::physics::dynamics::ICharacterProxy* m_character;

int main()
{
	recv = new CustomEventReceiver();

device = irr::createDevice(irr::video::EDT_DIRECT3D9, irr::core::dimension2d<irr::s32>(640, 480), 32, false, false, true, recv);
	world = irr::physics::createPhysics(device);

cameraNode = device->getSceneManager()->addCameraSceneNodeFPS(0, 100.0f, 0.0f);

device->getFileSystem()->addZipFileArchive("map-20kdm2.pk3");
	irr::scene::IAnimatedMesh* levelMesh = device->getSceneManager()->getMesh("20kdm2.bsp");
	level = device->getSceneManager()->addOctTreeSceneNode(levelMesh);
	level->setScale(irr::core::vector3df(0.1f, 0.1f, 0.1f));
	irr::physics::collision::IShape* levelShape = world->getShapeFactory()->addMeshShape(levelMesh, irr::core::vector3df(0.1f, 0.1f, 0.1f));
	irr::physics::dynamics::IRigidBody* body5 = world->addRigidBody(level, world->getShapeFactory()->addMoppBvTreeShape(levelShape), irr::physics::dynamics::EMT_STATIC);
	body5->setPosition(irr::core::vector3df(-100, 0, -100));

m_character = world->addCharacterProxy(4.0f, 50.0f, 500.0f, irr::core::vector3df(0.0f, 25.0f, 0.0f));
	cameraNode->addAnimator(m_character);

irr::scene::IAnimatedMesh* nodeMesh = device->getSceneManager()->getMesh("HavokCube.x");

irr::video::ITexture* texture = device->getVideoDriver()->getTexture("Tex2.png");

for (int i = 0; i < 50; i++)
	{
		irr::scene::IAnimatedMeshSceneNode* node = device->getSceneManager()->addAnimatedMeshSceneNode(nodeMesh);
		node->setMaterialTexture(0, texture);
		node->setMaterialFlag(irr::video::EMF_LIGHTING, false);
		irr::physics::dynamics::IRigidBody* body = world->addRigidBody(node, world->getShapeFactory()->addBoxShape(irr::core::vector3df(2.0f, 2.0f, 2.0f)), irr::physics::dynamics::EMT_DYNAMIC);
		body->setMass(10.0f);
		world->getRigidBodyUtilities()->calculateBoxInertiaTensor(body, irr::core::vector3df(2.0f, 2.0f, 2.0f), 10.0f);
		body->setPosition(irr::core::vector3df(0, 50.0f + (1.0f * i + 2), 0.0f));
	}

while (device->run())
	{
		if (recv->getKeyState(irr::KEY_KEY_W) == EBS_DOWN)
		{
			m_character->moveForward();
		}

if (recv->getKeyState(irr::KEY_KEY_S) == EBS_DOWN)
		{
			m_character->moveBackward();
		}

if (recv->getKeyState(irr::KEY_KEY_A) == EBS_DOWN)
		{
			m_character->strafeLeft();
		}

if (recv->getKeyState(irr::KEY_KEY_D) == EBS_DOWN)
		{
			m_character->strafeRight();
		}

m_character->m_wantJump = (recv->getKeyState(irr::KEY_SPACE) == EBS_DOWN);

world->step();

device->getVideoDriver()->beginScene(true, true, irr::video::SColor(128, 128, 128, 128));
		device->getSceneManager()->drawAll();
		device->getVideoDriver()->endScene();
	}

world->drop();
	device->drop();	
}
rocknroll

Great work

Post by rocknroll »

Hi,

I downloaded your example and the .exe ran fine. I've tried compiling the project myself and ran into the problem below:

I am running Visual c++ 2008 express, Latest Havok download version 6, your example file.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1>------ Build started: Project: Irrlicht Havok Example, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
1>Compiling...
1>RigidBody Physics.cpp
1>e:\havok\irrlicht+havok example\irrlicht+havok example\Main.h(35) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'Physics/Utilities/Thread/Multithreading/hkpMultithreadingUtil.h': No such file or directory
1>PhysicsMain.cpp
1>e:\havok\irrlicht+havok example\irrlicht+havok example\Main.h(35) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'Physics/Utilities/Thread/Multithreading/hkpMultithreadingUtil.h': No such file or directory
1>Physics Mesh Physics.cpp
1>Main.cpp
1>GraphicsMain.cpp
1>Character Physics.cpp
1>CEventReceiver.cpp
1>e:\havok\irrlicht+havok example\irrlicht+havok example\CEventReceiver.h(12) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'Irrlicht.h': No such file or directory
1>Build log was saved at "file://e:\HAVOK\Irrlicht+Havok Example\Irrlicht+Havok Example\Release\BuildLog.htm"
1>Irrlicht Havok Example - 7 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

-----------------------------------------------------
night_hawk

Post by night_hawk »

The problem is blatantly obvious...
JP

Post by JP »

:lol: yeah try updating the include paths to your Irrlicht & Havok installations (which you obviously need to recompile).
Image Image Image
rocknroll

It seems that your example is Havok 5

Post by rocknroll »

It seems that your example is using Havok 5. I am using the latest Havok 6 which doesn't have

Physics/Utilities/Thread/Multithreading/hkpMultithreadingUtil.h

I then commented this line in the main.h file.

//#include <Physics/Utilities/Thread/Multithreading/hkpMultithreadingUtil.h>

which then gave another error that the signature in PhysicsMain.h

new hkThreadMemory(memoryManager,16)

only takes one argument instead of two.

So after doing the above, I was able to compile, however, when it comes to linking.

I get the following:

1>------ Build started: Project: Irrlicht Havok Example, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
1>Compiling...
1>RigidBody Physics.cpp
1>PhysicsMain.cpp
1>Physics Mesh Physics.cpp
1>Main.cpp
1>GraphicsMain.cpp
1>Character Physics.cpp
1>CEventReceiver.cpp
1>Linking...
1>hkVisualize.lib(hkDisplayCapsule.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: static void __cdecl hkGeometryUtils::createCapsuleGeometry(class hkVector4 const &,class hkVector4 const &,float,int,int,class hkTransform const &,struct hkGeometry * &)" (?createCapsuleGeometry@hkGeometryUtils@@SAXABVhkVector4@@0MHHABVhkTransform@@AAPAUhkGeometry@@@Z)
1>hkpInternal.lib(hkpCollectionCollectionAgent3.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: static int __cdecl hk1AxisSweep::collide(struct hk1AxisSweep::AabbInt const *,int,struct hk1AxisSweep::AabbInt const *,int,struct hkKeyPair * __restrict,int,int &)" (?collide@hk1AxisSweep@@SAHPBUAabbInt@1@H0HPIAUhkKeyPair@@HAAH@Z)
1>hkpUtilities.lib(hkpInertiaTensorComputer.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: static class hkBool __cdecl hkGeometryUtility::getAxesFromCovariance(class hkMatrix3 &,class hkVector4 &,class hkVector4 &,class hkVector4 &)" (?getAxesFromCovariance@hkGeometryUtility@@SA?AVhkBool@@AAVhkMatrix3@@AAVhkVector4@@11@Z)
1>hkpUtilities.lib(hkpInertiaTensorComputer.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: static void __cdecl hkGeometryUtility::createConvexGeometry(struct hkStridedVertices const &,struct hkGeometry &,class hkArray<class hkVector4> &,enum hkGeomConvexHullMode)" (?createConvexGeometry@hkGeometryUtility@@SAXABUhkStridedVertices@@AAUhkGeometry@@AAV?$hkArray@VhkVector4@@@@W4hkGeomConvexHullMode@@@Z)
1>hkpUtilities.lib(hkpShapeDisplayBuilder.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: static void __cdecl hkGeometryUtility::createConvexGeometry(struct hkStridedVertices const &,struct hkGeometry &,enum hkGeomConvexHullMode)" (?createConvexGeometry@hkGeometryUtility@@SAXABUhkStridedVertices@@AAUhkGeometry@@W4hkGeomConvexHullMode@@@Z)
1>hkpUtilities.lib(hkpConvexRadiusBuilder.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: static void __cdecl hkGeometryUtility::createConvexGeometry(struct hkStridedVertices const &,struct hkGeometry &,enum hkGeomConvexHullMode)" (?createConvexGeometry@hkGeometryUtility@@SAXABUhkStridedVertices@@AAUhkGeometry@@W4hkGeomConvexHullMode@@@Z)
1>hkpUtilities.lib(hkpConvexRadiusBuilder.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: static void __cdecl hkGeometryUtility::createVerticesFromPlaneEquations(class hkArray<class hkVector4> const &,class hkArray<class hkVector4> &)" (?createVerticesFromPlaneEquations@hkGeometryUtility@@SAXABV?$hkArray@VhkVector4@@@@AAV2@@Z)
1>E:\HAVOK\Irrlicht+Havok Example\Release\Irrlicht Havok Example.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 6 unresolved externals

For what I can see, my include paths for the includes and libs look fine. There is something going on here. I will continue figuring this out and post my findings here. If someone sees something I don't please chime in.

Thanks
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

rocknroll :
You could always get Havok 5 or just get the header from Havok 5.

Nice example. Hope to see more of this!
benny53

Post by benny53 »

Rocknroll - You are using Havok 6 for that? That won't work. I'm working on a Havok 6.0 wrapper for Irrlicht though. But the reason the hkpMultithreadingUtil is giving you problems is because Havok 6.0 got rid of that. Instead, Havok 6.0 has a much easier solution for multithreading.

But if you want to compile, you need to get Havok 5.5. Otherwise, wait a bit and I'll have a new demo with my library up ( almost have rigid bodies with everything working, as I'm trying to make this as clean and straight forward as possible ).

Cheers!
Ben
huydotnet

Post by huydotnet »

Build succeeded using Havok 6 and Irrlicht 1.4.1 :D
First, in PhysicsMain.cpp, line 21, change it to:
data.__threadMemory = new hkThreadMemory(memoryManager);
then, you need to add this in to Linker -> Input -> Additional Dependencies:
hkBase.lib hkSerialize.lib hkSceneData.lib hkInternal.lib hkGeometryUtilities.lib hkVisualize.lib hkCompat.lib hkpCollide.lib hkpConstraintSolver.lib hkpDynamics.lib hkInternal.lib hkpUtilities.lib hkpVehicle.lib
But remember, in C/C++ -> Code Generation -> Runtime Library, you must chose the correct type with the .lib library you chose (debug_multithreaded, release_multithreaded if you use /MT or /MTd, debug_multithreaded_dll or release_multithreaded_dll if you use /MD or /MDd, or simply, use hybrid_multithreaded_dll)
Source Download here (src only, no data)
http://www.box.net/shared/pzunpgyxv1