Game Engine

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
ehenkes

Game Engine

Post by ehenkes »

I look for a general game engine on top of irrlicht grafic engine. Ideas?
JP

Post by JP »

Game engines probably use their own graphics engine rather than integrating on top...

So if you need a game engine just use a game engine and forget about Irrlicht.
Image Image Image
ehenkes

Post by ehenkes »

Perhaps the term "Game engine" might be not, I really mean. I look for an add-on (some classes) managing scenes and turns and teams and so on. Typically, a game has a start screen, then some options are chosen and a kind of loop begins. At the end there are saves ...
What belongs in own classes, what in the main() function?
Is there such a system or an ideal model, guide or standard? There should be one.
Taymo

Post by Taymo »

Irrlicht is a game engine right? Capable of organizing a scene and rendering it's nodes? It can play music, grab input, perform math, and has cool built in scene nodes.. Isn't that a game engine?
Ride the Spiral Development:
spiralride.blogspot.com
Dark_Kilauea

Post by Dark_Kilauea »

Please look at the FAQ.

Irrlicht is NOT a game engine.
rogerborg wrote:Every time someone learns to use a debugger, an angel gets their wings.
Brainsaw

Post by Brainsaw »

A game engine is definetely more than Irrlicht is. There are some game engines based on Irrlicht, use the forum search.

But you will have to add some work if you don't find an engine for exactly the game you want to create, and unless you do some type of game that is done a lot i guess you won't find one.
Dustbin::Games on the web: https://www.dustbin-online.de/

Dustbin::Games on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dustbingames/
Dustbin::Games on twitter: https://twitter.com/dustbingames
JP

Post by JP »

Basically ehenkes, you're asking for someone to do your entire game for you, aren't you? :lol:

If you need all those things done for you then irrlicht is probably too little for you and you need to find a nice game engine that will cater for your needs, either do that or just search for how to solve your problems or just give a bit of thought to them. How to do teams? Fairly simple thing to solve, there's a few ways you could do it, one way is shown in my IrrAI examples.
Image Image Image
jontan6

Post by jontan6 »

DarkDepths

Post by DarkDepths »

Doing it yourself should not be a hugely complicated task. The thing is that when you do do it yourself, you don't have to worry about all the little details that other programmers may have included. For example, a "game engine" would want to be very functional for its users, so it would need to have a way to do everything that a programmer may want to use it for. When you write your own, you only need to write the things you need.

If you are not writing an overly complicated game, this should really come down to a few classes to manage entities in your games as well as the game states. Of course, as you go through, you may notice that collision detection isn't particularly easy to do, for example, so then, you can come back here and say "Hey guys, I've been working on my game and am having problems implementing decent collision detection. Here is what I have tried: ... any suggestions on why this doesn't work?"

And in the end, you will feel a whole lot better about yourself!
rogerborg
Admin

Re: Game Engine

Post by rogerborg »

ehenkes wrote:I look for a general game engine on top of irrlicht grafic engine. Ideas?
What's a "general game"? One where you wear a big hat and shout very loud?
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way