Any X-Blitz3D developers here ?

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
StuCollier

Post by StuCollier »

I ask as we are currently moving into the 3D side of games writing (from 2D stuff) and we are currently looking at C++/Irrlicht and Blitz as our future dev language/engine

I’ve been used to using quite high level languages – which have the benefit of me concentrating on gameplay in a game rather than the latest technological advances. BUT saying that, I am conversant with C and C++. (Just not games writing)

So if there are any X-Blitz people that can tell me all the bad points in Blitz (and why I shouldn’t use it) please step forward.

My concern with Blitz is the overall speed ? – remember we will NOT be writing the next state of the art game - but the overall speed of the game must be sufficient so that a user doesn’t give up as its too slow ! – or those little extra touches that the engine can not handle ?

I like Irrlicht - Niko has done/is doing a grand job. I can see however it growing exponentially if/when he allows us all to add code/fix code.
StuC
Freeware games
www.ovine.net
Shadow_Wolf

Post by Shadow_Wolf »

StuCollier,
I still use Blitz3D a little bit, and I have to say you can't go wrong with using it. The speed of it is amazing and the ease of programing is something that leaves other engines in the dust. The only downside to Blitz3D is that most of the effect have to be faked, though this does not effect the speed much at all. I really don't have anything to say against Blitz3D, aside from the lack of tools that come with it. Though if you pick up Milkshape 3D and gile[s] along with Blitz3D your set :D
StuCollier

Post by StuCollier »

Thanks for the heads up.

Ive been doping some testing of both Irrlicht and Blitz to compare - and yes speed doesnt seem to be an issue. - we shall not be doing a state of the art FPS in the near future (or ever !) - so some of the shortcomings of Blitz are no real concern.

The new material system in Irrlicht sounds exciting tho !

My concerns for Irrlicht is the rate of which updates/support is done. Ive got 2 outstanding major issues with Irrlicht at present and noone can even comment on them. Without them being fixed/commented on I cant see us using Irrlicht and will have to settle for Blitz.
StuC
Freeware games
www.ovine.net