Create standalone executable?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
fennec

Create standalone executable?

Post by fennec »

I'm trying to make the game into a simple exe and media files. It works on my machine, but I wonder it will work on someone else's computer, that doesn't have Irrlicht.

So if you have a moment, try to run my awesome game. Thanks a bunch.

http://members.shaw.ca/evilgryphon1/boxwander64.rar
sudi

Post by sudi »

well u could compile irricht into a static lib....
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

You may have to install the re-distributables. I got caught in that error, some time back. You can go MSDN downloads...

But you have to figure out your development enviroment, like IDE, etc in order to know the re-distributables.

Hope that made sense.
JP

Post by JP »

Nice of these folks to not actually try out your app :lol:

Works fine for me so you should be alright. dlangdev's comments about the re-distributables is valid, if you used MSVC as your compiler then it may require a little re-distributable install on the user's PC before it will work, if it is necessary when they try to run your app a pop up box will say something like "blah blah doesn't work, reinstalling might help". I think there are ways to setup the MSVC compiler to not require these re-distributables, which may be a more ideal option.

I don't know why Sudi is mentioning static libs... it's basically irrelevant to your question so don't worry about that.

And well done on your game, looks pretty cool! Some suggestions would be to expand on the 'manual' which currently only explains the controls. explain the story, if any, what you're meant to be doing etc. Try and imagine you've never played the game before and have no idea what it's about and what your goal is and then imagine yourself to have an IQ of around 12 and write a small, concise document explaining the game.
Image Image Image
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

Works For Me. Of course, I have the MSVC dev libs installed, so I can't speak to how it will work on Joe User's machine.
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
sudi

Post by sudi »

JP wrote: I don't know why Sudi is mentioning static libs... it's basically irrelevant to your question so don't worry about that.
Well bc he said simple exe and mediafiles. Most people before him wanted to have the dll in the exe so i thought he means the same.
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
fennec

Post by fennec »

Thanks a lot guys. I'll keep that in mind about the MSVC distributables if I ever run into a problem.

Good point about the manual. Even at this very, very early stage it might be handy.
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

Oh, pay no attention to JP. If you released a PacMan clone, he'd demand a novella detailing the backstory and motivations of the protagonist. :P
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
fennec

Post by fennec »

I would argue that a Pacman clone might do well without a backstory.

The idea of a disembodied head fleeing from ghosts and eating pills to reach higher levels is somewhat depressing.
robertgarand

works with no msvc

Post by robertgarand »

Hi fennec,
I keep as less MS anything in my PC, so if it works for me...
nice job you done, only missing a F1 ->message box to get controls and goal of game. And and aiming sight would be great.
I was a MW4 fanatic, your meck look cool.
keep going,
Robert
If it can't be writen, it can't exist
JP

Post by JP »

rogerborg wrote:Oh, pay no attention to JP. If you released a PacMan clone, he'd demand a novella detailing the backstory and motivations of the protagonist. :P
Damned right i would! :lol:

Though not really.... it's true that at this stage the story isn't particularly important but some details about what you're meant to do would be good as you just start in front of a big board with some red dots on it with no instructions!
Image Image Image