The Irrlicht-Bullet Challenge

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding game design, integration of external libraries here. For irrEdit, irrXML and irrKlang, see the
ambiera forums
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

=====================

Purpose:
1) Provide new ways of approaching a problem using Irrlicht-Bullet wrapper.
2) Increase awareness of the wrapper.
3) Build people/community around the codebase.

Objective:
1) Be able to deliver a demonstration program showing a specific solution to a specific physics simulation problem.
2) Be able to impart knowledge to students/learners.
3) Be able to show better ways of developing a solution.

Rules:
1) Use existing wrapper or create your own wrapper.
2) Wrapper should use latest-n-greatest release. Irrlicht 1.4.2 and Bullet 2.72.
3) Release source package should contain the code only.
4) Release binary package should contain the binary/models/textures/mattes only.
5) Release source+binary package should contain all resources.

Let the challenge begin!
Last edited by dlangdev on Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:07 am, edited 6 times in total.
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

Last edited by dlangdev on Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

I don't have access to it.
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

You can't access the Irrlicht Challenge section?
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

It says

Code: Select all

Sorry, but only moderators can post topics in this forum.

Dorth

Post by Dorth »

Hmmm, ok, then maybe contact Bitplane about it? It seems to me your idea is pretty much the base of that section...
fmx

Post by fmx »

yup, this should be in the Irrlicht-challenge section, strange you can't post there...

its a fair-enough proposal dlangdev, but I can't help but wonder WHY you're trying to push for Bullet in such a way.

Even though you have outlined your Purpose and Objectives, the only real "reason" I can imagine you're doing this is so that it makes it all easier for YOU to be able to integrate/use Bullet in YOUR projects...

I'm a PhysX user myself but I don't really have anything Bullet either (had quite a lot of experience using both actually), but you'll have to do more to convince ME to spend my time on taking up this particular "challenge"

I'm not criticising you dlangdev nor this idea, and if others are happy to participate then I'm not going to intervene

Good luck!
:)
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

Well, the reason why I do this is because it's fun. Bullet is just a means of getting to a destination, though. Achieving or even reaching a goal is pretty much a big universe in itself.

So, whatever works for you--it's good. It must be good. Keep doing what you're doing, nobody's stoppin' ya.
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

Dorth wrote:Hmmm, ok, then maybe contact Bitplane about it? It seems to me your idea is pretty much the base of that section...
Any admin around? Please move it to the Challenge Section.

Thanks.
SwitchCase

Post by SwitchCase »

No. This isn't a challenge, it's a list of specifications you've labeled as a challenge.

Am I right in thinking that you have no intention of attempting this "challenge" yourself?

Well, the reason why I do this is because it's fun. Bullet is just a means of getting to a destination, though. Achieving or even reaching a goal is pretty much a big universe in itself.
Bollocks.
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

SwitchCase wrote:No. This isn't a challenge, it's a list of specifications you've labeled as a challenge.

Am I right in thinking that you have no intention of attempting this "challenge" yourself?

Bollocks.
I have to agree with that. Usually challenges don't specify the libraries that the user must use to complete the challenge, but rather a goal that the user must reach. (e.g. the best fluid and cloth simulation or something) Now unless you are working for a company that is paying you, or you want to up the popularity of YOUR product, like Havok is doing with their competition, then you usually don't care what specific library the user uses to complete the challenge.

Naming a goal will probably make people take this more seriously, dlangdev.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

Fair enough.

No problem, just leave this thread as-is, I'm coding my first demo and will post them soon.

If this thread happens to interests you, just follow the rules and simply post your demo here.

Good luck on your pet-projects, though.
oldskoolPunk

Post by oldskoolPunk »

Why do these threads always leave me so confused ???
Signature? I ain't signin nuthin!
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

Fœtal alcohol syndrome?
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way