Maria Snake 3D (Download)

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
Ali_Hashemi

Maria Snake 3D (Download)

Post by Ali_Hashemi »

Salutation to whole friends

This Is My First Game In Irrlitch.

I planning A New File System To Protect Texture Files And Models In Irrlitch.

You Can See Thats. (*.Ice Files)

Screen Shot :

Download :
http://rapidshare.com/files/157327868/setup.part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/157331411/setup.part2.rar
Last edited by Ali_Hashemi on Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JP

Post by JP »

Looks pretty cool, congrats!

So what's this ice format then eh? Details!
Image Image Image
Ali_Hashemi

Post by Ali_Hashemi »

Thanks alot.

*.ice Is A Custom Format, For Encrypting Textures & Meshes.
Also We Can Put Password For Our Data.

Then , We Can Load Data From Ice Files To ITexture* Or IAnimatedMesh*
Very Quickly And Very Easy.

Im going To Complete This File Structure For Use In Irrlitch Projects.
JRowe47

Post by JRowe47 »

I don't mean to bash your idea in any way, but as soon as your textures are unloaded by the program, you can access them in memory, and copy them directly to your desktop. Anyone really interested in getting textures, models, or pretty much anything from your game won't be stopped by encryption unless you devise a totally customized model format, preferably obfuscated.

Otherwise, you're putting a lot of effort into something that is easily sidestepped.

Neat, game tho!

Also, it's considered very odd to capitalize the first letter of each word, in english. Your english is excellent, except for that! :)
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

Custom mesh format won't help you, like was previously said often. To be rendered, it must be sent to the graphic card. It can be intercepted from then. Your only hope would be to be very evil with the meshbuffers, but that would a) slow down your app and b) only give you a small chance, since someone can just add the various meshes captured and isolate the polygons he wants and use those. Of course you could use a custom shader which would eliminate all triangles with a certain uv mapping or whatever and then add extra random triangles. Again, is it really worth the effort? Always plan for success and tell yourself that IF you succeed people WILL find a way to steal it, end of story.
JRowe47

Post by JRowe47 »

Pretty much, yeah. The same with software security. Once it's running on someone's machine, they can bypass any sort of trial period, encryption, or licensing. The active memory of your computer is inherently insecure; you can't hide it from itself (sans a rootkit, but that's just as accessible to those who know how as any other software.)

Focus on the game itself, and don't worry about protecting your assets. If you see a game using your assets, you can sue, and if they have money, it might be a good thing (for you) that they stole your work. :P
FreakNigh

Post by FreakNigh »

My game is completely open source and has a zlib license, and people still pay for it. It's all about image, presentation, support, and people with good will that have spare change.

CvIrrCamController - 3D head tracking lib to create window effect with webcam
IrrAR - Attach Irrlicht nodes to real life markers
http://www.nighsoft.com/
GameDude

Post by GameDude »

Looks cool, is it open source?
Ali_Hashemi

Post by Ali_Hashemi »

Looks cool, is it open source?
Hi
Excuse me for my deferment.
:oops:

Unfortunately this game is not open source.
I haven't any idea about this.
Vandrick

Post by Vandrick »

Coming from a hacker that can bypass Game Guard. I say your .ice format is a good thing. It will keep honest people from stealing your work. I plain on making all my game data load from a single file or even pack it in the exe with simple encryption. It wont keep every one from getting a hold of it but it will make harder.

Ive had Issues on forms where if you don't protect you work then you could have it stolen and other people will clam your work as there's.
full.metal.coder

Post by full.metal.coder »

Vandrick wrote:if you don't protect you work then you could have it stolen
Well, no matter how hard you protect it, as soon as you release it there will be people able to steal it (which does not mean they will do it though).
Vandrick wrote:and other people will clam your work as there's.
And that's where releasing unobfuscated content helps. When you release some content, attach it a license (whatever it may be) and ensure that it remains available somewhere on the net where it's "history" can be properly tracked. Then, if anybody ever claim your work is theirs, you can sue them and you will win the case.

To be on an even safer ground you can use the old-school artist technique (mostly used by "poor" musicians to make sure nobody can "steal" their lyrics/music) : burn your content onto a CD/DVD/whatever and send it to yourself (through the post office) and of course don't open the package, unless you need an evidence to win a "this is my work" case in court.
Vandrick

Post by Vandrick »

full.metal.coder wrote: Well, no matter how hard you protect it, as soon as you release it there will be people able to steal it (which does not mean they will do it though).
Agreed but most people able to steal it really wouldn't bother with much stuff here.
full.metal.coder wrote: And that's where releasing unobfuscated content helps. When you release some content, attach it a license (whatever it may be) and ensure that it remains available somewhere on the net where it's "history" can be properly tracked. Then, if anybody ever claim your work is theirs, you can sue them and you will win the case.
This does work well for programs that you make but not so well for hacks. Personally if some one were to take some thing I made as a demo or tut here I wouldn't care much.

I'm still for his simple but not needed protection its a start. In today's online gaming world if you wanna protect your game you have to go threw bigger company's or know a hole lot about the box your working on. I'm not saying he will stop other from stealing but he will make it harder like say a pad lock on a bike.