CColladaMeshWriter and Custom Mesh

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
asparagusx

CColladaMeshWriter and Custom Mesh

Post by asparagusx »

Hallo

I have a custom mesh (derived from ISceneNode). How would I create a COLLADA export file? It seems to use IMesh as an interface? Sorry, but this is probably a silly question, but any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Anton
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

If you don't provide a IMesh from your custom geometry, there's no way to write a mesh file from it with the existing writer method.
asparagusx

Post by asparagusx »

I am really stuck with this.

My custom mesh is derived from ISceneNode which obviously does not support getMesh - which will be needed to provide a IMesh * to enable writing. I have looked through the documentation and there does not appear to be any samples on writing files (maybe I am not looking for the correct terms). Should I derive my custom mesh from IMeshSceneNode and then override getMesh (and others)? Internally my mesh does use a derived class from SMeshBuffer to provide custom buffer handling and I can provide this to a calling function.

Here is my current thinking to create a structure to export my data. I have many ISceneNode derived objects in my scene manager, each which can contain many mesh buffers (different vertex types). A solution might be to create a single SMesh and add all the SMeshBuffers from all my scene nodes and then passing that to the writeMesh function :

Code: Select all

IMeshWriter *writer = Device.pDevice->getSceneManager()->createMeshWriter(EMWT_COLLADA);
	IWriteFile *write = NULL; // create the file here
	SMesh Mesh;
	SMeshBuffer *Buffer = NULL;

// in a loop collect SMeshBuffer data and use addMeshBuffer
                :
	Mesh.addMeshBuffer(Buffer);
                :
                // end of loop
	writer->writeMesh(write,&Mesh);
                // clean-up
Anton
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Yes, if you have an IMesh internally (which would be simple when working with SMeshBuffer internally) you can just derive from IMeshSceneNode and provide that Mesh via getMesh functions.
asparagusx

Post by asparagusx »

If I derive my custom scene node from IMeshSceneNode, rather than ISceneNode, will this still behave the same e.g. I still implement my own draw code - will the scene manager not want to access my 'internal' meshes via getMesh and getMeshBuffers during rendering?

Anton
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

No, these functions are just provided for the user to acess the mesh. Rendering will always be defined in render()
asparagusx

Post by asparagusx »

How would I go about saving a whole 'scene' e.g. all the children of my current scene manager to a single export file? I can see how to create a single mesh output (with multiple mesh buffers attached to IMesh), but not all the nodes in my scene.

Thanks

Anton
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

You can simply create a serialization method for your scene node, and call the scene saving method from Irrlicht. You'll need a scene node factory for this to work properly, otherwise there's no way for the loading app to know about your custom mesh, though.
asparagusx

Post by asparagusx »

Hybrid

I do not fully understand what you mean in your last reply. I have now generated the following code :

IMeshWriter *writer = pCD->DwgSmgr->createMeshWriter(EMWT_COLLADA);
	IWriteFile *out = Device.ifs->createAndWriteFile("C:\\TEST.DAE");

pCD->DwgSmgr->saveScene(out);		
which certainly does produce some output, including accessing my custom mesh. I do not understand the 'scene factory' bit at all. Here is a small extract from the collada file I produced, showing some of my custom mesh attributes, including the material definitions. My custom mesh is now derived from IMeshSceneNode and I have implemented the various virtual functions required e.g. getMesh. However it never gets called :
:
:
:
<attributes>
<string name="Name" value="Cube" />
<int name="Id" value="197250824" />
<vector3d name="Position" value="0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000" />
<vector3d name="Rotation" value="0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000" />
<vector3d name="Scale" value="1.000000, 1.000000, 1.000000" />
<bool name="Visible" value="true" />
<enum name="AutomaticCulling" value="box" />
<int name="DebugDataVisible" value="0" />
<bool name="IsDebugObject" value="false" />
</attributes>

<materials>
<attributes>
<enum name="Type" value="solid" />
<color name="Ambient" value="ffff0000" />

:
:
:

Other functions in my custom mesh e.g. getMaterial is called during saveScene.

Anton
asparagusx

Post by asparagusx »

I am really stuck with this and can do with some advise :oops:
asparagusx

Post by asparagusx »

Sorry to bump this, but I have not been able to resolve this at all - anybody else having problems creating Collada files?

Thanks

Anton
asparagusx

Post by asparagusx »

Hallo

I am now ready to look at this function again. Can somebody please see if they can comment on this.

Much appreciated.

Anton
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

So do you have a custom scene node? Please show the code and the output from the Collada writer fo this node.
asparagusx

Post by asparagusx »

Hybrid

That is the problem! I do have a 'scene' made up of many custom scene nodes. I have now moved this on slightly, by using a SMesh and then adding all the mesh buffers from my custom meshes into this single SMesh and the exporting that to a DAE file. My code looks as follows :

int CDrawing::SaveAsDAE(LPCTSTR Filename)
	{
	SMesh mesh;
	POSITION Pos;
	patp pat;
	IMeshBuffer *mb = 0;
	UINT i,j;

for (Pos = FP(); Pos; )
		{
		pat = GetNextPattern(Pos);
		if (pat->IsVisible() && pat->DCELList.size())
			{
			for (i = 0; i != pat->DCELList.size(); ++i)
				{
				for (j = 0; j != pat->DCELList[i]->MFaces.size(); ++j)
					mesh.addMeshBuffer(pat->DCELList[i]->MFaces[j]->Mesh->Buffer());
				}
			}
		}
	IMeshWriter *writer = DwgSmgr->createMeshWriter(EMWT_COLLADA);
	IWriteFile *out = Device->ifs->createAndWriteFile(Filename);

writer->writeMesh(out,&mesh);	
	return CSystem::GEN_ALL_OK;
	}
This appears to export the geometry, but materials (e.g. diffuse colours) etc does not work - or at least it does not show up while using Irrlicht MeshViewer. I am not sure that creating a single SMesh is the best way of doing this.

Thanks

Anton
asparagusx

Post by asparagusx »

Any furtehr information on this????