DirectX 11 in November SDK!

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
veegun

DirectX 11 in November SDK!

Post by veegun »

To my surprise, a tech preview of direct3D 11 is included with the recently released november 2008 directx sdk. How awesome is that?

I tried running the 64-bit HDRToneMappingCS11 sample (utilizes the new 'Compute Shader') and got 0.71 fps with the D3D11 reference device! :oops:

The SubD11 64-bit sample (shows off 'Approximate Catmull-Clark' subdivision surface technique) is even worst on my system. It took a while for it to even show the view inside the sample window. When it finally did, I got 0.04 fps!

Finally, I tried the DynamicShaderLinkage11 64-bit sample (shader model 5) and got 0.31 fps.

My not-so-powerful (when running DX11 samples :wink:) new system spec:

Vista x64
Q6600 quad-core intel @2.4 ghz
8 GB RAM
Nvidia 8800 GT 512 MB

Anyone else tried running DX11 samples on their system?

Here's a quote from the doc for the SubD11 sample:

"Since this sample depends on the new Direct3D 11 pipeline stages, it can only operate by using the reference rasterizer at this time. As a result, it takes several seconds to render each frame. When Direct3D 11 hardware is available, we expect this sample to run thousands of times faster."

Let's hope. :P

Here's a link to an article that goes into the new features of DX11:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3 ... ucing_.php
JP

Post by JP »

Jesus... how long ago did DX10 come out? And how many people actually thought that was worth using? :lol:
Image Image Image
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

Heh, "Sponsored Feature".

Oh goody, another new shader model!

It's almost as though they have some vested interest in forcing developers to abandon DX9. Well, good luck with that! (Hint: search for "DirectX10").
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

Hey, thanks for the link. I'll look into that as soon as possible. Start something going in that direction. What's really shiny about this release are more features that will definitely shorten the time and effort.

Anyway, thanks for posting the link.
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

Actually, none of you True Believers are going to bother following that link above, so I'll just spell it out for you.
The Valve Hardware Survey, updated 9th November 2008 wrote: DirectX10 Systems (Vista with DirectX10 GPU) - 9.66% of users
Note carefully: that's not 9.66% of all PCs. You don't get to use the "Yehbut, gamers all have cutting edge hardware." Thats 9.66% of a large sample of real, active gamers.

If anyone knows of a more representative (credible) survey than that, then I'd be delighted to hear about it. Because until that number goes up, you are essentially getting <10% return on any investment in DX10, let alone DX11.
JP

Post by JP »

:lol: i love how dlangdev always likes to dive in with the cutting edge stuff just for the hell of it when he'd really be better off just using the standard stuff first!
Image Image Image
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

Take it easy guys, I'm just having fun here. Remember, this is not my work, I don't get paid to do this. I simply do this for the fun of it.

You'll never see me deliver complete functional games, though because there is no inspiration or perhaps a reason to create one at the moment.

Maybe in five years, I'll be able to make a demo that's looks like a game.
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

Heh, sorry, I didn't mean to whiz on your parade. I know bleeding edge is fun to muck around with; I'm really just preparing the ground for the inevitable questions about why Irrlicht doesn't have a DX11 (or DX10) driver.
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

I think the code will answer the question. It was actually stupid of me of asking that DX10 support question months ago.

Now that I know, I should know what the reply to anyone who raises that question.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Lol at this rate we should just start on DX20 and by the time we finish it'll be out.

@rogerborg: I followed it and noticed the 9.66%, I don't think that you have to point it out explicitly :P I'm glad the 6800GT I own is not completely obsolete yet :D

Also, the new shader model is interesting, it offers a cross vendor alternative to NVidia's CUDA/ATI's Close to metal, so I'm sure alot of research institution will be very interested in this when it comes out at the very least.
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
twilight17

Post by twilight17 »

Yeah I was suprised to see that 59,546 other people have the Nvidia 7300...

mines a 7300GS, but it really sucks! I can't even play Day Of Defeat in 640x480 with everything on low without getting only 6FPS...

anyway, DX10 was a flop (9.66% lmao...) , I'm betting Windows 7 will come with the release of DX11.
Post this userbar I made on other websites to show your support for Irrlicht!
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/1261 ... wernq4.png
veegun

Post by veegun »

Wow, looks to me there're more to the November 2008 DirectX SDK than meets the eye. I just read about the new beta version of 'Windows Advanced Rasterization Platform (WARP)' included in this SDK release:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd285359.aspx

I'll post the goals of WARP here from the link above:

1. Completing the Platform
2. Replaces the Need for Custom Software Rasterizers
3. Enabling Maximum Performance from Hardware
4. Enabling Rendering When Direct3D 10 Hardware Is Not Available
5. Leveraging Existing Resources for Software Rendering
6. Enabling Scenarios that don’t require Graphics Hardware

I love the benchmark table shown for WARP10 (DX10 version; I supposed they'll have a WARP11 for DX11). You see something like this for WARP10 (Crysis at 800x600) average FPS on CPU only software rendering:

Core i7 8 Core @ 3.0GHz: 7.36
Penryn 4 Core @ 3.0GHz: 5.69

and the Hardware Accelerated GPU rendering:

NVIDIA 8800 GTS: 84.80
ATI 3400: 37.18

Then you look at intel integrated video card hardware score:

Intel DX10 Integrated: 5.17

and just had to laugh out loud.

The WARP10 software rendering score is higher than intel's hardware score for it's integrated DX10 offering! To be fair, it does beat a lot of the cpu-only scores.
P1SQ4M

Post by P1SQ4M »

I know saying this is dangerous, but... I think we need to consider adding dx11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYfec0PqJ00

More importantly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P25ukMJH ... re=related

Of course no one will be able to run those games, but dx 11 is going to be standard (on most computers) one day, and I think it'd be a good idea to take a look at.

9% of people with dx10 was a great reason not to immediately run after adding it, now however, after a year of computer sales windows 7 on the way and the dx11 release soon to come, I think adding dx10 or 11 would be the prudent thing to do, keeping irrlicht famous for a thing it's great at, a large number of rendering drivers.
sRc

Post by sRc »

10 wasnt really well adopted for not significant addition of features, compared with a lot of unwarranted Vista hate. 7 people love as much as they hated Vista, so adoption will be MUCH higher

the primary problem, though, is its a major change from the way the Irrlicht engine functions, primarily the elimination of the fixed-function pipeline in favor of a shader based system. the main thing that would need to be done, for both 10 and 11 support, would be to set up the irrlicht pipeline in the unified shader system
The Bard sRc

Blog | Twitter