Please Delete

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
bjozzi

Please Delete

Post by bjozzi »

Please Delete
Last edited by bjozzi on Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.
SwitchCase

Post by SwitchCase »

Curse of Rainion is a 3D adventure game in which you play a young Woman that escaped Rainion (her home town) and started a journey to release it's curse

The project is currently in Designing state and is still in need of more members, this is only a relatively small project and should be finished sometime in January
January??? I hope you mean January 2010. While it may be a small project, it's a 3D adventure game... if you want to avoid it being shite (which i'm guessing you do) you'll have to have either a fair few mechanics in there or a smaller amount of very clever mechanics. It'll take a fair amount of time to both design and implement these. Also, your likely to need alot of art assets with it being a 3D adventure game, even if it is a small one. Now consider the number of team members you'll have doing each job and then consider the fact that all work on this would have to be done in their own valuable free time.

Other than that though, sounds like it could be a nice little project to go on a CV/resume, so good luck :D
Last edited by SwitchCase on Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Would you please read the project announcement rules and provide some more documents, such as design docs and concept arts.
bjozzi

Post by bjozzi »

SwitchCase wrote:
Curse of Rainion is a 3D adventure game in which you play a young Woman that escaped Rainion (her home town) and started a journey to release it's curse

The project is currently in Designing state and is still in need of more members, this is only a relatively small project and should be finished sometime in January
January??? I hope you mean January 2010. While it may be a small project, it's a 3D adventure game... if you want to avoid it being shite (which i'm guessing you do) you'll have to have either a fair few mechanics in there or a smaller amount of very clever mechanics. It'll take a fair amount of time to both design and implement these. Also, your likely to need alot of art assets with it being a 3D adventure game, even if it is a small 3D adventure game. Now consider the number of team members you'll have doing each job and then consider the fact that all work on this would have to be done in their own valuable free time.

Other than that though, sounds like it could be a nice little project to go on a CV/resume, so good luck :D
yeah, i expected some reactions like this but its really not that big as you might think

The game should probably have just 1-2 hours of gameplay and is more intended to give you some portfolio work, it should start with you in a really small village and from there you should follow a road to the Palace, there you must speak to the king which thinks his people might enjoy a good old gladiator fight (if you win the fight he will release the spell of rainion) i know its rather cliche and story will probably change also the release date hehe
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

I think you're missing something here. It doesn't matter how many hours of gameplay you have. It's the developing of the game engine, menus, etc that's going to take up the majority of development time. So in essence, going through all that trouble for something like 2 hours of gameplay is still going to take you a relatively long time and in the end it's a pretty big waste. If you're gonna do this, you might as well go all the way and have some realistic expectations.

Cheers
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
lostclimategames

Post by lostclimategames »

idk, i dont think they can get it in one month, but getting the engine together should only take about week provided they arent expecting some high tech physics/multiplayer/game system. The major set back is the art, to make a deadline like that for such a small game would require probably about 15-20 artists working on it parttime and then it comes into the problem of managing 15-20 part time free workers. Its just very very unlikely to happen in a month, I'd say take at least 4-6 months to work on this.

Post by twilight17 »

This is also posted in the Ogre forum...

http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... highlight=

o.O
Post this userbar I made on other websites to show your support for Irrlicht!
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/1261 ... wernq4.png
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

Anyway, they aren't complying with the project announcement rules. Might as well delete the topic...
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

I'm minded to keep it open as an example of how not to make a realistic project announcement. ;)

Bjorn, we want to see you succeed, but at this point it's hard to even see what your goals are. In two months you could put together a very rough demo showcasing either your graphics, or one unique technology, or some basic gameplay. It might help your recruitment if you chose one.
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
bjozzi

Post by bjozzi »

allright well anyways the art will not be a problem for 1-2 months (not a lot needed) however the engine im not sure, this project was mostly thought as something small so someone would actually join and then later we would make something bigger, im sorry about the posting it in both ogre and irrlicht forums, but this because the game has not yet started development so the technology we will be using is not decided.
also i will post up some textures i have made for the game so at least you will see i have some skills in my field.
SwitchCase

Post by SwitchCase »

yeah, i expected some reactions like this but its really not that big as you might think

The game should probably have just 1-2 hours of gameplay and is more intended to give you some portfolio work, it should start with you in a really small village and from there you should follow a road to the Palace, there you must speak to the king which thinks his people might enjoy a good old gladiator fight (if you win the fight he will release the spell of rainion) i know its rather cliche and story will probably change also the release date hehe
Regardless, you're still underestimating the amount of time and effort this will take.

To get a finished game for your portfolio, I recommend attempting a much simpler (i.e. not a 3D adventure game) but nicely polished and complete game with a solid design. I assume since your team has no previous completed games that this is your first project. Therefore, it's very likely you'll hit several steep learning curves along the way. So rather than worry about how long it's going to take you by setting your own gold deadlines, take the time to get it right whilst keeping clear milestone aims in mind.
bjozzi

Post by bjozzi »

SwitchCase wrote:

Regardless, you're still underestimating the amount of time and effort this will take.

To get a finished game for your portfolio, I recommend attempting a much simpler (i.e. not a 3D adventure game) but nicely polished and complete game with a solid design. I assume since your team has no previous completed games that this is your first project. Therefore, it's very likely you'll hit several steep learning curves along the way. So rather than worry about how long it's going to take you by setting your own gold deadlines, take the time to get it right whilst keeping clear milestone aims in mind.
Actually this is not my first game (sort of i was working on a game called Dimension Five (dedicated a lot of my time for 1-2 years) which then was cancelled due to lack of speed in the engine luckily i still have my work from there, i also got accepted on the Planeshift team but quit shortly after since it looked kind of dead