irrlicht examples make my graphic card scream in pain

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
JAhU

irrlicht examples make my graphic card scream in pain

Post by JAhU »

While checking the examples included with irrlicht I encountered a weird problem : some of the demos made my computer emit high pitch noise. I started checking speakers and monitor but it came out to be my graphic card. Further research pointed possible source of this problem. I'm a happy owner of a gf8800GT and this card can run all of the examples with ease, but some of them run with insane fps, reaching a few thousands. Such fps seems to be very unhealthy for my graphic card (probably for many other cards too).

My point is that those examples can be dangerous to many modern graphic cards. They need an upper fps limit.

I thought it may be important and I couldn't find any old threads about this problem, so thats why I decided to make a new topic.
Ion Dune

Post by Ion Dune »

twilight17

Post by twilight17 »

I've read that if the FPS was above.. 300, or maybe it was 3000? That it would make a noise like that.. There was a youtube video too.
Post this userbar I made on other websites to show your support for Irrlicht!
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/1261 ... wernq4.png
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
twilight17

Post by twilight17 »

That is the most amazing website ever created. Ever.
Post this userbar I made on other websites to show your support for Irrlicht!
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/1261 ... wernq4.png
Spkka

Post by Spkka »

This has nothing to do with irrlicht im afraid, i got the 8800 GTX myself and when i tried the examples, the per pixel lighting one for example - i could hear a really high pitched sound.
I didn't really look at the FPS thinking this was just the fan working normal, since i normally got sound on when i play games and i had no sound on when i checked the examples.
JAhU

Post by JAhU »

I hope its not something dangerous to the card. It only happens with very high fps, on high load I don't get any noise.

P.S. Is it possible to set a fps limit using irrlicht?
lucifer1101

Post by lucifer1101 »

remember google is your friend

but anyways here read this http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums ... _id=457590

Please note that this is raw C++ and DirectX programming and may not be compatible with irrlicht..
Ion Dune

Post by Ion Dune »

What about vsync?
Dark_Kilauea

Post by Dark_Kilauea »

My card also does this: NVidia GeForce 7800 GT

However, it does this with all stressful OpenGL and DirectX applications, including the samples from Ogre3D and Horde3D. I traced the problem down to the internal wiring to the front of my computer (for the front ports, especially the audio ones) picking up electromagnetic radiation from my graphics card. Adding a little extra shielding fixed the problem.
rogerborg wrote:Every time someone learns to use a debugger, an angel gets their wings.