Hi,
I have C# programming experience, but I'm completely new to 3D programming, so please forgive my ignorance. My questions are:
Isn't Direct3D an "Engine" for developing 3D games? If so, why do I need another "Engine" to develop 3d games? Do developers use Irrlicht (and other engines) to make 3d programming easier?
Thanks,
Ron
Re: Engines
Engines like Irrlicht work on a higher level than the Direct3D and OpenGL libraries. The job of libs like D3D is to give a common interface to the graphic card. So you can access the basic functionality of all graphic cards through it in a similar way.
An Engine like Irrlicht builds upon that and offers the typical functionality you need to actually write a 3D application. It offers functions for scenemanagement, collision, gui, serialization and more. Also Irrlicht does abstract some of the basic functionality even further so you can use it to write platform independent code (linux, windows, mac and now even some mobile platforms) and it can render using the different low-level libraries (like DirectX8, DirectX9, OpenGL or even Software).
Also note that Irrlicht is mostly a 3D renderengine. For writing a complete game you will need some more libraries ( Sound, Physcis, Network).
An Engine like Irrlicht builds upon that and offers the typical functionality you need to actually write a 3D application. It offers functions for scenemanagement, collision, gui, serialization and more. Also Irrlicht does abstract some of the basic functionality even further so you can use it to write platform independent code (linux, windows, mac and now even some mobile platforms) and it can render using the different low-level libraries (like DirectX8, DirectX9, OpenGL or even Software).
Also note that Irrlicht is mostly a 3D renderengine. For writing a complete game you will need some more libraries ( Sound, Physcis, Network).
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
-
rogerborg
- Admin
- Posts: 3590
- Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:36 am
- Location: Scotland - gonnae no slag aff mah Engleesh
- Contact:
Well, what are your requirements?
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
3d Game Requirements
I'm looking into building a fishing game, so I'm guessing I'd need some sort of AI for the fish.
Ron
Ron
-
rogerborg
- Admin
- Posts: 3590
- Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:36 am
- Location: Scotland - gonnae no slag aff mah Engleesh
- Contact:
Unless you intend to model some sort of intelligent super-fish, then a finite state machine should do just fine.
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
And just to confuse the poor bugger, I'll link him here.rogerborg wrote:Unless you intend to model some sort of intelligent super-fish, then a finite state machine should do just fine.
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
Re: 3d Game Requirements
i think there is no ai engine for fish. mostly ai for path finding in strategies or something like thatRonJF wrote:I'm looking into building a fishing game, so I'm guessing I'd need some sort of AI for the fish.
Ron
In fact there is a ai for swarmanimals like fishs. Steering behaviors! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boids
So typically, FSM is used to animate characters in a game (like a FPS)?rogerborg wrote:Unless you intend to model some sort of intelligent super-fish, then a finite state machine should do just fine.
Do some engines include FSM for character animation?
Ron