Portable Irrlicht Development

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding game design, integration of external libraries here. For irrEdit, irrXML and irrKlang, see the
ambiera forums
Mad-Mazda

Portable Irrlicht Development

Post by Mad-Mazda »

Is it possible to set up a portable Irrlicht/Game development flash drive?
So i can develop Irrlicht/Games made with Irrlicht on any comp.
I have a portable version of MSVC++ Express.

Just wondering if anyone had done this and could give me some help.

Thanks.
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

Yes its definately possible. For this small example i assume that you understand relative paths :D

Code: Select all

Root
  |
  |__irrlicht
  |
  |__projects
  |_____chess
  |_____pong
Lets say thats your folder layout right? Well, thats to say that /projects/pong/pong.sln exists :)

Inside of msvc, you right click on a project (or project properties from the menu) and in the C/C++ tab, look under general. There is a place for "additional include paths" , in there you can point to the irrlicht include folder, and it SHOULD make it relative. Although, its safer to say ../../irrlicht/include yourself.

The next step would be to set the project lib folder in the Linker node of the options fr the project , under Linker - input there is a folder setting for additional lib folders, set that to ../../irrlicht/lib/win32-visualstudio or whatever it is, and then in the "additional library" box window, you enter irrlicht.lib

Thats the same as doing it under "Options" on the tools menu, except its set for THAT project, so each project needs that. if the options menu stores info locally you could just set it up there... then you can use irrlicht as if it were portable (seeing as it is, really).

IF you get stuck, just say where.
Mad-Mazda

Post by Mad-Mazda »

Ok thanks.
Seems logical lol. ill give it a go when i have some time.