Creating a 3d map using Irrlicht game engine

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
Sadeq

Creating a 3d map using Irrlicht game engine

Post by Sadeq »

hi everybody.
my name is Sadeq, well I am doing a project in which I had to design a 3d interactive environment just like a museum.
there is no especial complexity like 3d games, just a very plain 3d building in which people could walk and look at the for example paintings on walls.
I have to confess I don't know about 3d game engines, but I am very good at 3d modeling using the software 3ds max.
I wonder if it is possible for me to design my environment inside 3ds max and then import it into this game engine with out disturbing the maps and materials, or if it is not possible to do so here, is the any game engine which might provide such capability.
I should add I don't know anything about game engine programming.
I appreciate your comments in advance.
thanks
sadeq
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

You're posting in the wrong forum, so I moved it to the 3D graphics forum..
To answer your question, you can't just export a huge scene from 3D studio max and use it - making media for realtime graphics is a mixture of art and science.
You can't render a scene with tens of millions of polygons in realtime.. well, some people's computers can, but they are in the minority, tens of thousands is more realistic. Where you'd usually use a complex mesh for ray tracing you'd use a texture and/or normal map for realtime.
Your meshes will have to be triangulated before export, which means you'll lose all your complex NURBS surfaces. If you want beautiful ray traced quality lighting, you'll have to use light maps (lighting baked into a texture) and as for advanced materials, they will have to either be converted to shaders or dropped completely. Even standard materials with lots of layers will have to be baked into a single texture map. 3DS Max specific modifiers will have to be collapsed before export.
I suggest downloading the B3D exporter and having a play with it, look into lightmapping, low poly modeling and texture mapping.
Here's an example of what's possible
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
Sadeq

Thank you Bitplane

Post by Sadeq »

Thank you Bitplane for your very useful reply.
I think I got the point, it is not possible to create a huge environment in 3d and then use it inside the game engine.
we also cant export lighting and material data to game engines, instead we can export the light mesh with a baked texture.
Well thats quiet enough for me, I think.
Now may I ask where should I start?
I would be very thankful.By the way I am reviewing what u told me.
thanks again :P
skumar

Post by skumar »

You can start right now if you have the essential knowledge in c++....

Try studying the collision and demo examples with the sdk...where you can study how we can walk through a mesh...like building..

Now the 3d part....you have to model things in low poly...and then do lightmapping and then export using appropriate format ...and load in your app.....

experiment with small models and then gradually develop a robust base...
skumar
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

For the B3D exporter, start here- http://www.onigirl.com/pipeline/

Export to B3D and load in irrEdit or Irrlicht's mesh viewer.

I've not got 3D Studio myself (I'm not much of an artist and I prefer to use free tools), so I can't help with the 3DS specifics. Just experiment and ask here for help when you hit some problems

Good luck! :)
Sadeq

Post by Sadeq »

thank you again guys for your very useful comments.
I really surprised when I found out you have answered so quickly, it seems it is a really alive forum.
I should especially thank you Bitplane.
You are very helpful.
By the way Skumar I saw and download your masterpiece.
Oh god it was great.
You know if I was able to make an environment 40 percent of yours that was enough for me.
guys I should say I am in a hurry, so I think I could not learn C++ right now.
Is there anyway to create a 3d interactive environment with out the knowledge of programming.
Guys you are so helpful.
Right now I am exploring the B3D.
thank you again.
sadeq
Sadeq

Help

Post by Sadeq »

hi everybody, nobody has any comment about how can I import the b3d files into irrlicht game enginge without the knowledge of programming?
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

Did you try the examples? If you just want to walk around a mesh you can just use the collision example with your own mesh, or use the loadIrrScene example with a scene made in irrEdit.
skumar

Post by skumar »

you dont need to be a c++ expert to fulfill your need...

but you should have basic knowledge in c++ programming...so that you can easily study the examples and make simple changes and load your own mesh into it...
skumar