Got kicked off gamedev.net for saying windows is crap

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
devsh
Competition winner

Got kicked off gamedev.net for saying windows is crap

Post by devsh »

the moderator was from redmond and i pointed it out....

make your mind up.
Sylence

Post by Sylence »

Honestly I would do the same. Senseless flamewars.
If someone says "I don't like windows because it is missing feature xyz and needs program abc which costs $$$ to get this feature" then it's ok because you have an argument. But looking at your signature I can image the comment was something like this: "Guys, Windows is total crap. Better use xyz and all your problems will be gone"

just my 2 cents
Software documentation is like sex. If it's good you want more. If it's bad it's better than nothing.
Nox

Post by Nox »

dito!
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

i really need to hook up with some linux fanboys, it's hard to live in the world as the minority!
twilight17

Post by twilight17 »

Each OS has its pros and cons. No need to argue.
Post this userbar I made on other websites to show your support for Irrlicht!
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/1261 ... wernq4.png
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

devsh wrote:i really need to hook up with some linux fanboys
The first step to rehabilitation is admittance.

EDIT:
Not that I usually comment on these type of things that deal with inter-forum dealings, but I came across the topic at GameDev. And all I have to say is that you were blatantly out of line, from even the posts that didn't become deleted, and the ban was very just. Don't try to down play what happened, and not even provide the other half of the story about what happened. Let's just leave it at that.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

I'm embarrassed to say this but for a bit of a laugh I decided to search up what kinda crap he posted to get himself banned:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums ... _id=528301

Some wonderful quotes:
OS Unixes Linux/Mac (if you are a programmer you can make a windows port, BUT I'M NOT WASTING ANY TIME ON THAT CRAP)
after I read the Tech Yourself how to program in C++ book (This might sound discouragin I know)"
Additional Info:
I would explain but too tired.
And another final outburst before he got banned:
So Let me clear some things up

Windows does suck

my mate said linux is poop when i was over at his house and 5 seconds later he got a BSOD

ultimate proof isn't it

who said I dont want a winblows port??
I only said I'M NOT DOING IT, if you are a programmer and you want to make a winsucks port you are welcome to do so and you will get any gratification.

And who said i'm a pro

SURE THIS IS AN INDY game!! I just want something to go on my portfolio when I apply for college in some time.

and well it's not going to change much if you all criticize, i just go and code the game myself like I have done for the last 7 weeks.
Oh well I guess the fellows at GameDev don't have a sense of humor like we do, I actually found his Project Announcement on our forums quite charming. :lol:

I'd love to see some of the more outrageous posts that the moderator deleted, particularly the very last post that actually got you banned.

EDIT:

Oh yeah the mod's location does say "Redmond, WA, United States". Quite amusing, but I don't think that's why he banned you. :P
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
skumar

Post by skumar »

in the world of no walls why should we need gates and windows.....

Dont ban me for this...writing from a windows pc... :D
skumar
loki1985

Re: Got kicked off gamedev.net for saying windows is crap

Post by loki1985 »

devsh wrote:Got kicked off gamedev.net for saying windows is crap
... and now you are trying to get banned from irrlicht forum too?

SCNR :lol:
Nox

Post by Nox »

hmm....if you want to live under the sky...i prefere to live in a heated house with a leakproof roof, windows and gates(doors) :P
vipergc

Post by vipergc »

As an OLD timer... I'd like to offer my cent and a half here... by way of background, I built my first computer in the 60's from used IBM mainframe pieces and parts.. I built my first "pc" on my kitchen table in the 70's... the bad news is that any software developed for either of those machines.. wouldn't run on anyone elses machine... eg... there was NO market... no compatibility... then along came CP/M and voila... we had a platform whereby MY software.. would run on YOUR machine.. ahhhh.. MARKET.... I have mosied through the computer world, ran a BBS for 10 years, muddled through DOS 1.0, Windows 1.0 up to and including what is out now....

I have gleaned several lessons from all of this...

1. the ideal/perfect OS.... is yet elusive

2. no matter what is available, there will always be those who simply aren't happy or satisfied and forever criticize, yet never offer a better solution

3. if you aren't happy with the status-quo.. invent a new one.. offer a solution

As a side note... in the old days.. ALL of us were programmers... and we all did things to CONTRIBUTE... and make things better... every keystroke that anyone makes today... is built upon the endless and sleepless nights that others have dontated in years past

and on a final note... ignorance is curable.. stupidity is fatal
Co-Inventor of ZIP files.

Hardware - play with it long enough.. it BREAKS
Software - play with it long enough.. it WORKS
full.metal.coder

Post by full.metal.coder »

Nox wrote:hmm....if you want to live under the sky...i prefere to live in a heated house with a leakproof roof, windows and gates(doors) :P
regardless whether or not one likes living under the sky (which I do btw, though not all the time) one should consider the word "walls" in a metaphorical sense I think.
There are walls like the one that used to split Berlin in two or the one some extremists want to build in Israel and walls that just keep the cold wind from freezing you to death.

With this in mind I think the above quote makes sense. That does not mean I hate windows and bill. Just that I find their ethics (or lack thereof) debatable and am in favor of more freedom and interoperability (less lobbying and patents would be a good start).
Last edited by full.metal.coder on Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loki1985

Post by loki1985 »

i think what also needs to be mentioned (regardless of the fact that it already has been mentioned in thousands of other threads): there are quite a few people who use windows, but are aware of and unhappy with the way microsoft handles lobbying and patent enforcement.

i am one such person, and i know of many others.

i personally have the option to switch to other OSs (tho i still use windows atm), but many other don't have this option, or the option is by far not as easy as it is for me.
Nox

Post by Nox »

@full.metal.coder
it was not really serious ;)
wITTus

Post by wITTus »

vipergc wrote:every keystroke that anyone makes today... is built upon the endless and sleepless nights that others have donated in years past
Ohhh... This is so beautiful! It really touched my heart. :)
Generated Documentation for BlindSide's irrNetLite.
"When I heard birds chirping, I knew I didn't have much time left before my mind would go." - clinko