April 2009 Screenshot of the month

Competitions for Irrlicht or 3D in general.
Irrlicht Screenshot of the Month: Winner for January, vote for February, submit for March
bitplane
Admin

April 2009 Screenshot of the month

Post by bitplane »

If you haven't voted already, click here to vote for March

A bit of a change this month-
1) Only one entry per person (people who submit multiple images are less likely to win because their votes will be spread)
2) We'll start the voting no sooner than the 17th and no later than the 19th of April, so the results are available at the end of the month.

So submit your entries here, and toward the end of the month we'll let everyone vote on the best one. The winner gets added to the screenshot of the month gallery and (if you want) a link to your project on the screenshots page.

Submission rules:

* You give permission for us to use the image on Irrlicht's website, irrlicht3d.org and SourceForge for publicity reasons.

* Irrlicht only projects please, no screen captures from modeling programs or editors unless they use Irrlicht (ie, irrEdit) or your project is an editor tool

* You can submit a maximum of one screenshot per month, so make sure it's your best one!

* You can enter screenshots from projects you've been working on in the last few months, remember it's better to post something than nothing at all. You can always submit a better one next month.

* Please make sure your images don't 404 before the voting is over. Use a one-click file host like imageshack, tinypic, or if you have a SourceForge account you can enable the user galleries application in your profile.
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

Okay i've been polishing again the shaders to make glow and bloom, but im afraid that until we have MRT's and floating point textures, it will be a bit hard to get them decently... none the less, the efforts to make these screens is worth :)

It is big, so i will leave it as a link, if you don't mind.

UniKa screen
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Mel wrote:MRT's
MRT's for performance.
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

That's exactly why i would like them to be in the engine :) i used a small trick to get the glowing, that was using the alpha channel to mark the areas where the render is meant to glow, the thing of it is it couldn't be mixed with true transparent areas, where the alpha channel has full meaning because, then, transparent areas start to glow too. Obviously, the best then is to avoid transparency, but it shortens the definition an image may have, so, i'd wish that Irrlicht had MRT's support already, along with floating point textures to have a good support for Depth maps, which didn't need the values to be packed/unpacked. That would save render time too, and would increase performance of the engine, which is something i consider to be desirable too.
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Hmmm no I agree the FP textures are disirable for quality, an integer representation can only get you so far, even with packing. Have you thought about doing the glow part in the depth pass? Since only 2 channels are needed for 16-bit packing. It's usually what I do anyway when I need specific things to glow...

Sorry for OT guys :P
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

Also, you usually don't need a full color range nor alpha. If you reserve the least important pixel of all colors and alpha (by considering it has the same value as the most significant one ^^), that already give you a 0-15 range for the glow of any pixel ^^
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

PM's sent, someone who wants to speak me about this meaning, feel free to PM me ;) sorry for the off topic!
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

And answered in kind :P (yeah, let's keep on posting we're posting pms on the thread, w00t!)
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

If you tonemap inside the actual shader of every object (which is 32 bit floating point), you can just bloom the normal r8g8b8 framebuffer by blooming pixels above say 0.8f and it still will be correct lighting (rather than tonemapping at the end).

Valve uses this.
"Irrlicht is obese"

If you want modern rendering techniques learn how to make them or go to the engine next door =p
skumar

Post by skumar »

This time im better with my architecture

skumar
wing64
Competition winner

Post by wing64 »

God Tower. Used shader -> Normalmap, DOF, PSSM, Water, SSAO, Phong & Lambert, Bloom. I think add some object later eg. Fog, Cloud or a little grass. :-)

fmx

Post by fmx »

holy mackeral :shock:
That is awesome wing64, it looks like AAA standard!
Can't wait to see more :D
Valerien

Post by Valerien »

Hey wing, that's a pretty good work, but your DOF doesn't blur the edges.

and skumar, your building is pretty clean, but please, this car looks horrible. And you should use bilboards with your tree ;).
oldskoolPunk

Post by oldskoolPunk »

Signature? I ain't signin nuthin!
Cloudef

Post by Cloudef »

Oooh, nice shading there oldskoolpunk!