Blender .map exporting

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
tempuser2

Blender .map exporting

Post by tempuser2 »

When you use GTK Radient to make a map, you link the textures in folders, and you just make sure that same architecture is available in the .pk3. Working in blender, I've made a small area, even saved it to the media folder in .blend and then exported it into the same media folder (where the image is located) as a .map. When I open it in GTK Radient however, it can't find the textures. What's the proper way to hook up textures so they will display on your maps (GTK Radient)?
Katsankat

Post by Katsankat »

Hi,
Radiant needs a few things to show textures.
* Every texture needs to be in the baseq3/textures (jpg works fine)
* Additionnally, every texture needs a shader (in the baseq3/scripts folder) see below
* then the name of this shader (without extension) must be added in scripts/shaders.txt

A basic shader would probably look like this (this is scripts/brick001.shader)

Code: Select all

textures/photorealistic/bricks/001.jpg
{
 q3map_nonplanar
 q3map_shadeangle 60
 implicitMap -
}
It is handy to use (only once) a script/tool to generate shader files for a folder full of textures. ;) I got one if you are interested.

Pretty good article http://www.katsbits.com/htm/tutorials/b ... to_map.htm
Namespace Irrlightuser

Post by Namespace Irrlightuser »

Thanks, I gave exporting a map and importing it in GTK Gradient (with the same texture with the same name in the texture folder, although they were in a media folder when I used blender.)

I built a room quicly in Blender, I built it with planes but it did the same thing, so I thought it might use boxes only like gradent seems to do.

So I opened the .map in the map directory the Q3 folder, but this happened.

What can I do to get it exporting correctly?
Namespace Irrlightuser

Post by Namespace Irrlightuser »

any ideas, I'm open to using any exporting program, but I'd like to model it in blender. Is IRRedit better for compiling maps?
Katsankat

Post by Katsankat »

Usually here's how it goes: you create the static geometry in a CSG editor (Constructive Solid Geometry, think about this signification),
then import models created in a modeling program.

- in blender as material name type bricks/bricks001 or whatever it is the name of the shader as i explained earlier

- open the .map file with an ASCII editor and show it please.