Getting the direction of y=0 degrees

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Endar

Getting the direction of y=0 degrees

Post by Endar »

Is there any way in which I can get a vector or reference to the direction in which irrlicht considers 0 degrees around the y axis?

Oh, and when people draw vectors, isn't Z usually in the up direction? Am I mistaken or for irrlicht is Y in the up direction and X and Z are on the horizontal plane?
"The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour."
-Japanese Proverb
warui

Post by warui »

>Is there any way in which I can get a vector or reference to
> the direction in which irrlicht considers 0 degrees around the y axis?

Sorry, but i don't get what you need. Is it y axis vector - [0,1,0] ?

> Oh, and when people draw vectors, isn't Z usually in the
> up direction? Am I mistaken or for irrlicht is Y in the up direction and X
> and Z are on the horizontal plane?

Yes, it's how it's in irrlicht.
Tomasz Nowakowski
Openoko - www.openoko.pl
Felipe

Post by Felipe »

I've never seen a program where the Z axis is up. If you check Anim8r, for example, Y is up. This is the same in MilkShape, DarkBasic, and others.
It makes more sense to me that Y is up. When working in 2D, you only have X and Y. In 3D, the extra dimension is just added making X Y and Z, where Z is the new depth.
ManakelNotLogged

Post by ManakelNotLogged »

In fact Z up is conventionnal positive cartesian orthogonal coords. mostly used in mathematics (at least french low level one)
warui

Post by warui »

In Poland in most cases we use axis like in irrlicht. But actualy it doesn't matter which axis go where, it's not standarized.
Tomasz Nowakowski
Openoko - www.openoko.pl
Endar

Post by Endar »

@Warui: sorry, I need to relearn my vectors, so if what I say is exactly what you said, don't think I'm a fool or anything :D.

Okay, so, draw a circle on a piece of paper with a dot in the middle. Now, imagine that you are looking at something from the top and when that thing rotates it will be changing its rotation around the y axis. Now draw a line from the point to directly up to the edge of the circle. I call that line 0 degrees.

I'm going to be needing to find the position of the camera on the circle around the point, and that would be okay if I had the degrees around the circle from what I call 0 degrees.

EDIT: Also, since I have found that I do not know, what is the up vector for the camera?
"The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour."
-Japanese Proverb