Linux Mapping

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
CiderSubmarine

Linux Mapping

Post by CiderSubmarine »

Hey,

What tools are available for mapping on Linux? I would like to use GtkRadiant but would I be correct in assuming shaders and water don't work?

If possible I want the ability to have water/windows and not being very competent in modeling with the likes of Blender an actual mapping tool would help me a lot.

So... What tools can I use that allow the inclusion of water? Thanks
Katsankat

Post by Katsankat »

Hi, welcome

Water works fine: in the 3D view select the face (SHIFT+LEFT BUTTON), then clic on the water texture, compile and the shaders will do the rest. Animated and cool without effort.

;) Try NetRadiant, it comes with a good compiler. I did not try it on Linux yet but on windows it is perfect.
wITTus

Post by wITTus »

In doubt install VirtualBox and you can use whatever you want.

PS: This is my 100th post 8)
Generated Documentation for BlindSide's irrNetLite.
"When I heard birds chirping, I knew I didn't have much time left before my mind would go." - clinko
CiderSubmarine

Post by CiderSubmarine »

Katsankat wrote:Hi, welcome

Water works fine: in the 3D view select the face (SHIFT+LEFT BUTTON), then clic on the water texture, compile and the shaders will do the rest. Animated and cool without effort.

;) Try NetRadiant, it comes with a good compiler. I did not try it on Linux yet but on windows it is perfect.
Just compiling it now, thanks for the suggestions. I've noticed that Q3 (actual Quake 3) maps aren't supported (well they aren't listed on the site) so do other BSP formats work with Irrlicht?
wITTus wrote:In doubt install VirtualBox and you can use whatever you want.

PS: This is my 100th post 8)
Why would someone want to run a guest OS for this? :?

And congrats on the 100th post :)
wITTus

Post by wITTus »

CiderSubmarine wrote:Why would someone want to run a guest OS for this? :?
Well, someone who has no other choice. But of course a native running alternative is much better. It was just a suggestion :)
Generated Documentation for BlindSide's irrNetLite.
"When I heard birds chirping, I knew I didn't have much time left before my mind would go." - clinko