Drawing a Image over the whole screen

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.

Drawing a Image over the whole screen

Post by Guest »

I have two little problems.

Can somebody say me how to draw Images over the whole screen, independent from the resolution of the screen?
I've not found anything about how to stretch images to the right size.
The image should also have something invisible inside (else it would be senseless; you wouldn't can look through it). Is colorkeying the right way to do that?

Post by Guest »

sorry for my bad english.
blayde

Post by blayde »

from the tutorials page i would try this tutorial.

and if you have problems using or understanding the code consult the api

good luck

1 idea : rather than use one giant image you might want to use several small ones. 1 for the map, 1 for health, 1 for waepon/ammo, etc

Post by Guest »

I know this tutorial.
It doesn't solve my problem of stretching an image for other resolutions.
It would need a lot of disk space if I have an Image for every resolution I will support.
blayde

Post by blayde »

well then i guess you have make a choice.

have an image that looks good at 640*840 and horrible at 1600*1200

or

use up some space to have a good looking image at any resolution

if you can give me more imfo on what you are trying to achive maybe i can help you further.
brcolow

Post by brcolow »

Well the solution is simple...just have your application run at one resolution! If it is 800X600, then just make the image that size...why let the user change the resolution anyways?
G'Day.
zola

Post by zola »

Take a look here

http://www.irrlichtnx.mmdevel.de/

check out the CEGUI addon patch, might be what You need.

Even though the patch is titled 'CEGUI addon' it doesn't need the CEGUI to work and is completely free of dependencies to this project.
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

seems to me any game I've ever looked at the source/files for if there was a fullscreen image there was one for every supported type of resolution.

huge amounts of disk space????

I don't think an image for say the most comonly used resolutions would be too much of a space hog.

1 for 640X480
1 for 800X600
1 for 1024X760

even if you did the sizes above and below a total of 6 or 10 images doesn't take up that much space if you do it in a good format.

you do know some games made today require 6 CD's worth of info and some MMORPG's like starwars galaxies are nearly 3gb with all the patches and that doesn't include the expansions that are soon to come.

Don't believe what they say SIZE DOESN'T MATTER!
well when your talking about disk size anyways :lol:

personally I bought my computer stock with 160GB hard drive and standard is 80GB now I've tried to fill my hard drive full and I've only been able to do it with a couple ENTIRE tv mini series... it's not possable to design a game that todays stock systems can't handle and as for the outdated folk I think it's time you invest in something you could sell for more then $100 on today's market.

an average first person shooter of today is approx 1gb even with patches consider that your limit and nobody will complain except the ones paying for the bandwidth to upload the software.

If I'm not mistaken you could also zip them up and with the correct programming Irrlicht reads them no differently.