Relo Template for Irrlicht.

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

dx9 works, though same thing about needing a dll
ok, good to know. The last time I tried it didn't work.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

ok guys, good news and bad news.

The bad news is that I got infected by that freaking VX2 annoying popup spyware crap and it made my life impossible!!! I had to format my drive and install everything again and I didn't have much time to work on the tutorial.

The good news: it was my perfect chance to try the MS toolkit+sdk+Relo thing from scratch and I did. Everything is working perfect! I haven't installed my VC6 or my VC7 and I'm getting my optimized exes and my Irrlicht dll and lib. SWEET! We definitely got something going on here.

The other good news: now that I don't have a doubt about our method I'll start uploading all the projects and templates I've got. The only thing that would force me to use VC6 or 7 would be adding Icons for my exes. Cmoibelenpro, do you think it's possible with Relo? Or do you know of an external tool that adds icons to exes (besides creating a shortcut for it and changing its icon).

Anyway, the good news weigh much more than the hassle I went thru this weekend.

BTW. I got the freaking spyware bot after installing Azureus (bit torrent client) to try it out. Anyone knows if it comes with spyware? Since it's a sourceforge project I thought it was spyware free. Anyway, be careful with it.

cheers!
Robomaniac

Post by Robomaniac »

Ad-Aware? ;)
The Robomaniac
Project Head / Lead Programmer
Centaur Force
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

The bad news is that I got infected by that freaking VX2 annoying popup spyware crap and it made my life impossible!!! I had to format my drive and install everything again and I didn't have much time to work on the tutorial.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Why you don't use anti-spyware programs so you can get rid of them after they appear?
I recommend you to have Ad-aware and Spybot

Bad news... :(
The only thing that would force me to use VC6 or 7 would be adding Icons for my exes. Cmoibelenpro, do you think it's possible with Relo?
For the icon... Good question, I will check it...

I know Relo support .rc (ressource) files so it must be possible. But I'm not sure how to compile them...
I will do some research on msdn (vc++ online manual) and I will give you an answer... stay tuned.
Or do you know of an external tool that adds icons to exes
I don't know any that is good, free and don't add links somewhere... Anyway I don't like the idea of using an external editor. I want Relo to be my only tool (of course I will create my icon in another graphics software like photoshop...)
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

Man believe me, you guys can't imagine how many cyber-condomns I got on my pc!!!!!!

I got adaware with the vx2 plugin, spybot s&d, pestpatrol, zonealarm, panda antivirus titanium crapcleaner, etc etc. Nothing removed the freaking dlls I had and the annoying pop ups just kept popping and popping up! It had been like about a year ever since they scored a goal like that on me. Usually the viruses I get are from my wife opening the forwards (I call it Cyber-AIDS) she gets from all of her friends and relatives!!! Damn! I hate spyware! Was the VX2 thingie caused by azureus? It's the only thing I can think of.

ok guys, sorry for getting off topic a bit. Thnx for the tip Robo.

Cmoibelenpro: I'll stay tuned and try to read something on resources myself. Your tips have enrouted me in very interesting directions.

Let's see how much I can hold myself from installing and using VC7 .net. arrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

ps. Did you get to write Relo's author about the bugs?

cheers!
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

good news: I'm sure it will work, because the visual studio ressource compiler (RC) is included with the windows platform sdk (in the bin folder) :D
I just need to modify Relo compiler settings a little bit. it looks an easy task. :P
bad news: I'm too tired to test it right now. it's past midnight now and I need to go to work tomorrow morning :cry:

I will sleep a bit and tomorrow I will add icons to my irrlicht apps, then I will post here a mini-tutorial.
:wink:
ps. Did you get to write Relo's author about the bugs?
yes, but I didn't get reply. :(
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

those are terrific news!

It's also almost 1:00 am and I gotta work tomorrow. But I'm still trying to put my PC back in shape.

Then the VC toolkit is very powerful indeed. They didn't exclude anything, it's just a DOS version without an IDE (that's where Relo jumps in, ah haah a :wink: )

I'm glad you find these tasks easy to deal with. I wouldn't be able to do anything similar in a 100 years!!!! And that's gonna round up the tutorial sweet!

exes
dlls
resources-icons

night night

cya guys 2morrow
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Again I got it to work! 8) I added an icon to an application made with relo +irrlicht :D

Here is how to do it (6 easy steps):

1) You need 2 tools to compile a resource file with vc++ : rc (resource compiler) and cvtres (resource linker)
-RC: it is included with windows platform sdk. :) go to Miscrosoft SDK/bin and find rc.exe and rcdll.dll . copy them to folder Visual C++ Toolkit/bin so Relo can find them.
-Cvtres: it is not included with the sdk... but don't worry, you can find it here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... us;q187280
Download it, extract the self-extracting archive, and copy it to Visual C++ Toolkit/bin

2) Go to Relo/config/compilers , open msvc.ini , modify the following lines:
[Console App Commands]
CompileCmd=cl "$IN" /c /Fo"$OUT" /I"$PATH\..\include" $CFLAGS /nologo
ResCompileCmd=rc -fo"$OUT" "$IN"
LinkCmd=link /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE /NOLOGO /LIBPATH:"$PATH\..\lib" $LFLAGS $INRES $IN "/OUT:$OUT"

**the configuration is done***
3) create an icon. Relo does contain a good form creator but there is no tools for other types of resources. But who cares? Making an icon is easy.
Make a bitmap (32x32 or 48x48) with a drawing software (like photoshop or gimp) and save it. Then convert it to the icon (.ico) format (I used Irfanview and it worked perfectly). Save it to your working folder (I called it my_icon.ico)

4)Open Relo. Create an Irrlicht Project (using my template :wink: ). Add your .cpp source files or use the default one. Save your project in the same folder where you saved your icon.

5) Create the icon resource file (.rc) . Don't worry, it's very easy. Next to the "new project" icon in the main toolbar, there is a small arrow (new specific file). Click on it. Choose "RC".
In the code window, add this:

irrlicht_icon ICON "my_icon.ico"

where "my_icon.ico" is the name of your icon file (change it if you want) and irrlicht_icon is the name of the variable containing the icon file (its name is not important). That's it, you made a resource file with Relo. :D

6) Click "build", and enjoy because your game have a beautiful icon!
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

yooooooohoooooooooo! hoooorayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

man! Cmoibelenpro you got it!

Is there anything you can't do? :D

You're seriously tempting me to not install vc7 and stay with our set of tools.

mmmmm
Almost everything vc does has been covered. What do you think it's still missing?

ps. Did you check the Irrlicht version I uploaded today? now I gotta go and update the poll with your new stuff!!!! I'm glad the wait was more than worth it.

man, drop me a line or add me to your msn if you use messenger. It'll be very interesting to cross a word with you.
amp2engine@hotmail.com

thnx man, you kick ass!
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

What do you think it's still missing?
Maybe irrlicht code hints... it would be great, even vc7 don't have them. :D
I will try this week-end (but I don't promise anything)
man, drop me a line or add me to your msn if you use messenger. It'll be very interesting to cross a word with you.
amp2engine@hotmail.com
I have added you to my contact list. :wink: But today I don't have time to chat sorry.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

I wish I could help with the hints, but I ws checking them and besides being long they're chinese to me!!! he he he eheh :wink:

Good luck with that project. it would be more than sweet if you got them to work.

about the rc compiling: I'm getting this warning at the end:
LINK : warning LNK4068: /MACHINE not specified; defaulting to X86

I know it's defaulting the thing, but just felt like reporting it to you.

about the chat, don't worry, we'll have time to chat later on. Perhaps on the weekend.

cheers!
Christian

Post by Christian »

Hello, first, many thanks for making a free alternative to make programs, rally many many thanks, second, i ask anyone for help since i have tried to compile a dll with no success.
I followed all steps, i checked them all, i tried various times and the last error that i encountered and that i cant overcome is this: it compiles many files until the linking part, when this appears:
Creating library C:\source\irrlicht.lib and object C:\source\irrlicht.exp

CVideoOpenGL.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__SwapBuffers@4 referenced in function "public: virtual bool __thiscall irr::video::CVideoOpenGL::endScene(void)" (?endScene@CVideoOpenGL@video@irr@@UAE_NXZ)

later this:
CIrrDeviceWin32.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__ReleaseDC@8

and later lots of LNK2019 errors and it ends like this:
C:\source\irrlicht.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 46 unresolved externals

Could someone please help me? im out of ideas...
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

recheck all the steps.

You'll get errors at the end with the exp file, but the lib and dll will be compiled ok. The exp may be erased.

remember also to download microsoft's sdk update and copy all the lib files into Microsoft's toolkit's lib folder

but follow everything carefully and you'll succeed.

check out the latest stuff we posted and a Relo version of Irrlicht. You can check and download everything here:
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... php?t=3469

cheers!
Christian

Post by Christian »

thank you for replying, i resolved the problem and i cant belive what i was doing wrong... :oops: i was puting the extra libraries on the slot of the DLL options...but im glad it was a simple solution. Thanks anyways :D
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

glad it helped!

:mrgreen: