OpenGL 3.1

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
Virion
Competition winner

OpenGL 3.1

Post by Virion »

The function glTranslatef was marked as deprecated in OpenGL version 3.0 and was removed from OpenGL at version 3.1.
It is recommended to avoid using deprecated functions, as their compatibility with future OpenGL versions is not assured.
Instead, implement a vertex shader that performs the required vertex processing
Complete list of deprecated functions in this category:
glColorPointer, glEdgeFlagPointer, glFogCoordPointer, glIndexPointer, glNormalPointer, glSecondaryColorPointer, glTexCoordPointer, glVertexPointer, glEnableClientState, glDisableClientState, and glInterleavedArrays, glClientActiveTexture, glFrustum, glLoadIdentity, glLoadMatrix, glLoadTransposeMatrix, glMatrixMode, glMultMatrix, glMultTransposeMatrix, glOrtho*, glPopMatrix, glPushMatrix, glRotate*, glScale*, and glTranslate*, glMaterial*, glLight*, glLightModel*, and glColorMaterial, glShadeModel, and glClipPlane*.
What?! Does this means it's much easier to implement OpenGL3.1 into Irrlicht? :roll:
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Only if we had a working shader pipeline. My OpenGL-ES 2.x driver should have all the work-arounds up to the lack of proper shaders. Once we have settled the iPhone stuff on the ogl-es branch I'll add that driver. Then, when the shader support has been added we should also be capable of OpenGL 3.1 and up.
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

Virion, this basically means that they have removed all of the fixed-function pipeline that was deprecated in OpenGL 3.0. So everything that the graphics card used to handle for you is "technically" removed, with regards to vertex handing and fragment shading. Right now though, they have moved fixed-functionality over to an extension.

I really haven't had much time to take a look at the OpenGL 3.1 or 3.0 specification but I'm guessing they have added DirectX 10 type things such as hardware instancing, and wrapped geometry shaders into the core, etc.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
Piraaate

Post by Piraaate »

hybrid wrote:My OpenGL-ES 2.x driver should have all the work-arounds up to the lack of proper shaders.

You caught me there, I'm so expecting this driver...
hybrid wrote:Once we have settled the iPhone stuff on the ogl-es branch I'll add that driver.
Can't wait ! Would it be too much to ask to create a branch or something to have access to this code ? Please please please :D
ImageImage
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

The code needs to be ported to the latest ogl-es 1.x version. That will take some time.