Google Chrome OS

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
Halifax

Google Chrome OS

Post by Halifax »

Here's the announcement on the google blog.
Google Chrome OS is an open source, lightweight operating system that will initially be targeted at netbooks.
For application developers, the web is the platform. All web-based applications will automatically work and new applications can be written using your favorite web technologies. And of course, these apps will run not only on Google Chrome OS, but on any standards-based browser on Windows, Mac and Linux thereby giving developers the largest user base of any platform.
We hear a lot from our users and their message is clear — computers need to get better. People want to get to their email instantly, without wasting time waiting for their computers to boot and browsers to start up. They want their computers to always run as fast as when they first bought them. They want their data to be accessible to them wherever they are and not have to worry about losing their computer or forgetting to back up files. Even more importantly, they don't want to spend hours configuring their computers to work with every new piece of hardware, or have to worry about constant software updates.
Sounds as though the Google Chrome OS will be a great piece of work. What do you guys think?
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
d3jake

Post by d3jake »

I say until we actually see a test version, or the final release we shoul dkeep our hopes in check. I don't say this to be mean, but if we raise our hopes too much that will taint our opinion of the final product.

I think the idea is brilliant. With that library (I can't remember the name right now..) that lets C++ run in a browser window at least we don't have to wait for the C++ library to be ported to this OS.
The Open Descent Foundation is always looking for programmers! http://www.odf-online.org
"I'll find out if what I deleted was vital here shortly..." -d3jake
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

d3jake wrote:I say until we actually see a test version, or the final release we shoul dkeep our hopes in check. I don't say this to be mean, but if we raise our hopes too much that will taint our opinion of the final product.
I agree, but Google has never really disappointed. And they already have proven technology that is going to help with implementing their operating system.

Originally, I never thought Google Chrome was going to be that much of a hit, but it is. So my hopes are high for this new operating system from Google.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
sRc

Post by sRc »

a lot of people are talking about it bein a "windows killer" or a "linux killer" or whatever. no, this has a specific purpose, not a general purpose operating system. its focus is the web, it should do pretty good at it, but its goal is fitting the specific purpose
The Bard sRc

Blog | Twitter
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

Yeah, I have to agree with you. I don't believe anything will ever remove Windows or Linux. Those operating systems are pretty much here to stay until the end of time.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
Strong99
Admin

Post by Strong99 »

The anaconda wrote:a lot of people are talking about it bein a "windows killer" or a "linux killer" or whatever.
... And the OS is aimed for webbased use, so if you want to stand alone applications I think you're still better with Windows, Linux or a Mac.

If thats possible I don't see how they will keep the computer as fast as the "first start" or keep security high.
psychophoniac

Post by psychophoniac »

i definetely won't be using it, since i think that google always collects some userData, no matter what googleApp you use.
but also i'll definetely have a look at it, to see what it looks and feels like to use.
and i accept the people who say its a windows killer, but a linux killer? ^^
thats gonna be hard ! :P
i love skateboarding!
Gelu

Post by Gelu »

It can't be a linux killer because it has a linux kernel.
MasterM

Post by MasterM »

lol a windows killer?, i dont see windows dieing anytime soon...
C++ is not the Magdalena...it takes patience...shes like the well aged prostitute, it takes years to learn her tricks! she is cruel...laughs at you when you are naked...
Life of a programmer == Const abuse
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

I reckon it could take the public Internet terminal market, but I don't think users will go for an OS without native apps yet. The web platform just isn't mature enough to replace desktops.
Maybe 5 or 6 years down the line it will be a different story though
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

Finally they have announced it.. hehe..
I was at Google Israel about one year ago (or two?) and they told us about it and said to keep it a secret.. lol... I pretty much forgot about it few months later. hehe.. that's pretty funny..

P.S
d3jake wrote:I think the idea is brilliant. With that library (I can't remember the name right now..) that lets C++ run in a browser window at least we don't have to wait for the C++ library to be ported to this OS.
http://www.webtoolkit.eu/wt
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
torleif

Post by torleif »

psychophoniac wrote:i definetely won't be using it, since i think that google always collects some userData, no matter what googleApp you use.
but also i'll definetely have a look at it, to see what it looks and feels like to use.
and i accept the people who say its a windows killer, but a linux killer? ^^
thats gonna be hard ! :P
All orginasations collect all kinds of data nowadays. I was surprised to find half my high school class and two family members on a police database that I was given, this data was simply made by online games.

Nowadays no one has any privacy. The difference is the company who has the data. Google's "do no evil" policy alone makes me trust them enough to see all my surfing habits (I use chrome). They're the sort of company that is willing to loose money for public enjoyment (youtube) whilst other companies put profit over public (Microsoft's Vista, ME etc)

I'd use Google OS if I had a netbook. Keep in mind, netbook sales over took PC sales this year, so that's where the future is headed.
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

Youtube losing money? WTF?
torleif

Post by torleif »

Dorth wrote:Youtube losing money? WTF?
Almost 200mil a year. Giving to the public isn't a really smart business model, but it makes millions of people happy everyday. It's this reason why I admire everything this company does.
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

That was before all their advertisement changes and music video and official show deals. They stated that by the end of the year it should pay back anything they had lost on it and that they will have made money with the buying soon.

And that 200M$ is nothing but a guess... Google has time and again showed their mastery of servers and bandwidth...