getCursorControl->getPosition() on Mac

You discovered a bug in the engine, and you are sure that it is not a problem of your code? Just post it in here. Please read the bug posting guidelines first.
harkathmaker

getCursorControl->getPosition() on Mac

Post by harkathmaker »

I have a FPS-like mouse-rotated camera. Every frame it gets the position of the cursor, and then places it back to a basic reference position (i.e. the center of the screen).

While developing it on Mac, I ran into a problem where the coordinates do not correspond with the screen coordinates.

Instead of the y-coordinates increasing as you go down the screen, they increase while going up.
Also, the 0 y-coordinate is not always on the bottom. Depending on the resolution, it is sometimes in the middle (with negative y-coordinates below it).

If it helps, the number of pixels is always correct... the direction and origin in the y-direction is just incorrect.

This happens only while in fullscreen mode. The program runs fine in a window on the Mac.
harkathmaker

Update - 1.5.1

Post by harkathmaker »

Quick update... after updating to 1.5.1 it looks like the negative coordinates problem is fixed.

The coordinates still start from the bottom of the screen as opposed to the top, however.

Is this fixable? Maybe it should at least be put in the documentation for future users. (Or I guess they could figure it out also :roll: )
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Unfortunately, both the dev team and the community are still short of Mac expoerts. But mabye bitplane will find some time to look into these issues in the next weeks.
So does the 1.5.1 release compile without problems under OSX? I guess we are also in urgent need for a new binary release for Mac users.
harkathmaker

Post by harkathmaker »

Yep, the Mac version worked fine, although I did have to comment out a few joystick functions to make the libIrrlicht.a. I had to do this for 1.5 also, I'm not sure whether it's my Mac or incompatible in general.
zillion42

Post by zillion42 »

i can confirm that... however it only affects me in fullscreen on a mac. If fullscreen = false it's fine...
I made a if around it, depending on fullscreen and mac

Code: Select all

if(!win && param.Fullscreen == true)
	{
		rotateVectorAroundAxis(forwardD, rightD, deltaC.Y);
		rotateVectorAroundAxis(upD, rightD, deltaC.Y);
	}
	else
	{
		rotateVectorAroundAxis(forwardD, rightD, deltaC.Y*-1);
		rotateVectorAroundAxis(upD, rightD, deltaC.Y*-1);
	}
zillion42

Post by zillion42 »

harkathmaker wrote:Yep, the Mac version worked fine, although I did have to comment out a few joystick functions to make the libIrrlicht.a. I had to do this for 1.5 also, I'm not sure whether it's my Mac or incompatible in general.
You have to include the ioKit in the xCode project
xDan
Competition winner

Re: getCursorControl->getPosition() on Mac

Post by xDan »

Hello, this appears to still be present in 1.7.2 ;)

Cursor Y position is inverted when full screen.

Thus, also the camera controller Y motion is inverted (e.g. try 02.Quake3Map *fullscreen* on Mac, the Y motion is opposite to on Windows and Linux).

I imagine this might also mean the GUI is unusable but I haven't tested... (certainly it renders my custom GUI unusable)

My fix would be as follows:

CIrrDeviceMacOSX::storeMouseLocation()

replace

1019     else
1020    {
1021    x = (int)p.x;
1022    y = (int)p.y;
1023    y -= (ScreenHeight - DeviceHeight);
1024    } 
with

else
        {
                x = (int)p.x;
                y = DeviceHeight - (int)p.y;
        }
and possibly also (not actually tested):

CIrrDeviceMacOSX::setMouseLocation(int x,int y)

replace

1043     else
1044    {
1045    p.x = (float) x;
1046    p.y = (float) y + (ScreenHeight - DeviceHeight);
1047    } 
with

else
        {
                p.x = (float) x;
                p.y = DeviceHeight - (float)y;
        }
also maybe ScreenHeight should be used instead of DeviceHeight, but in full screen they are set to the same values anyway.
hybrid
Admin

Re: getCursorControl->getPosition() on Mac

Post by hybrid »

That should have been fixed in SVN/trunk, so will be part of Irrlicht 1.8. Please try this with the SVN version.