Using GL Extentions in irrlicht

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
speewave

Using GL Extentions in irrlicht

Post by speewave »

excuse any typos im using my pocket pc pda... anyway

how can i incorporate GL extentions in irrlicht and check if one is supported

so if user has ATI_EXT_EMBM or whatever use this over a shader EMBM?
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Such checks are made in COpenGLExtensionHandler. Only a few checks are made public through the IVideoDriver interface, though. A proper function for all such driver specific checks is still to be defined. You can add a value to the driver feature enum to add a specific check you'd need.
speewave

Post by speewave »

but can i still use GL Extentions in Irrlicht?
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

The driver makes extensive use of several extensions of course. You can use extensions in your OpenGL calls as well, but you need to cope with non-existance on your own then. Irrlicht's policy is to provide higher-level functions which try to make best use of the available extensions internally. This is also the reason why no access is given to the driver-internal extension list. But if you add such a value to the video driver feature enum as described, you can easily check for this extension and use gl code which requires the extension.