Animated character with terrain in Bullet Physics

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
theOneAwaited

Animated character with terrain in Bullet Physics

Post by theOneAwaited »

Hey guys,

I'm trying to integrate Bullet Physics into Irrlicht and was hoping for some advice on how to proceed.

I need an animated character.
I need terrain.

Doing some same demos, I've found that creating a kinematic character controller and a btTriangleMesh terrain do not work together. It says "static-static collision" not supported or something.

So I was wondering about a different way to approach this.
- Use a different controller for an animated character?
- Use a .bsp file for the terrain?

Any one have suggestions on how to integrate terrain and a walking character in Bullet?

THANKS in advance! :D
DarkRage4

Post by DarkRage4 »

You could use a .BSP file for your terrain or map or you could even use like .X or something similar to that. As long as you can make it in a 3D modeler and export it in a format that works with Irrlicht it'll all work :D
theOneAwaited

Post by theOneAwaited »

Thanks for your reply. I am aware that various file formats are supported for Irrlicht. However my question relates specifically to setting up terrain using Bullet Physics.

A kinematic character controller does not work correctly on a btBvhTriangleMeshShape terrain.
I created my terrain using the default heightmap in Irrlicht's media folder.

The Bullet demo uses a .bsp map....so is this the only way to make terrain work, is to make a .bsp terrain?

Or is there another controller inside bullet for an animated character?

Thanks again!