Example Irrlicht : Really huge territory

Post those lines of code you feel like sharing or find what you require for your project here; or simply use them as tutorials.
Jinto

Post by Jinto »

File 400 Mb
PC CPU <2.2 G
Screen 1280x1024 only

http://uploadbox.com/files/dfeaebff59/
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

what is this about?
shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

As a whole it is a huge .exe with all resources packed in it. It took me hours to download, some time to load and ran very slow on my crappy machine. In the beginning there`s a camera following a route and showing very large snowy terrain area with bushes (GrassSceneNode style), after some time it approaches a couple of houses and stops. Then I had no idea what to do- trying to move had no effect(running at 2-3fps), so I left.

I think it may be for the "Project Announcements" section, since I don`t see any code/source or whatever.
:)
"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."
Acki

Re: Example Irrlicht : Really huge territory

Post by Acki »

Jinto wrote:Screen 1280x1024 only
unfortunately my monitor's max resolution is 1024x768, so I can't try it... :cry:
while(!asleep) sheep++;
IrrExtensions:Image
http://abusoft.g0dsoft.com
try Stendhal a MORPG written in Java
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

It has been in the project announcement, but I don't see any reason why a huge terrain would make a project. But yes, would need some code to fit in here. I basically hoped for the code being already in - at that file size...
vitek
Bug Slayer

Post by vitek »

I'd at least expect to generate the terrain using random numbers or perlin noise. Having to download 400MB of data to see a simple demo (no source?) seems crazy.

Travis
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

which thing made it so heavy? 400MB is a size of a fully playable game already :lol:
stefbuet
Competition winner

Post by stefbuet »

I downloaded it all :P
I think the thing which add some weight is camera informations. Camera is updated about every 1/4 sec, and it run more than 10mins, then I stopped it, so I don't know how much time it could continu :o

By the way, I tryed to look inside your exe with ressourceHacker and other ressources manager, however softs run out of memory cause of your filesize :roll:
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

any screenshots?
stefbuet
Competition winner

Post by stefbuet »

Here are some screens :wink:

Last edited by stefbuet on Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

cameras are mostly codes i think it wouldn't take so much space though
stefbuet
Competition winner

Post by stefbuet »

Camera are not coded. It's clearly an FPS camera which pos & target had been recorded. Movements are not smooth, it's some "by hand" mouvements.
Moreover the camera is still an FPS camera (we can move it ourselve but it will be replaced at the good position at each update :wink:
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Wow, the screenies are nice. Looks indeed more like a project, and nothing which helps people to create large landscapes... Would be pretty useful to get some details about the architecture and assets.
Faule Socke

Post by Faule Socke »

Very cool.

Looks like you have made your "dream world"? ;-)
But what it should be? A flight simulator? Or a shooter (because of the tanks)? And whats about the tank "flying" in the air? And I think, you have to improve the performance a little bit (I had just about 5 fps).

Socke
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

why don't you just attach one single camera to a longggggg spline? IMO there are too few things to see in a 400MB scene.