android phone sdk and irrlicht

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
slytron

android phone sdk and irrlicht

Post by slytron »

Has anyone looked into a port of irrlicht to the andriod phones? 500Mhz Arm processor with Opengl ES and the NDK it looks like it would be doable but complicated.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

I've not yet checked the NDK, but ARM and ogl-es is both possible right away (choose the ogl-es branch for the ES driver).
slytron

Post by slytron »

Thanks hybrid. I havent played with irrlicht for a long time. I will look into using the es branch.
DtD

Post by DtD »

Last I checked, you can only (officially) make andriod programs with Java (Well, it is a like-java thing iirc) and no C++.

~DtD
RedDragCZ

Post by RedDragCZ »

DtD wrote:Last I checked, you can only (officially) make andriod programs with Java (Well, it is a like-java thing iirc) and no C++.
Nope, it's already some time since they released the NDK enabling us to code parts of apps natively in C/C++. However, you cannot make a whole app in C++ as it still will need some Java frontend. Luckily, they added at least the support for OGL ES and some other libraries to the NDK so we should be theoretically able to make the Irrlicht running on it.

I was already thinking about this some time ago and was planning to look into it in the future (to port our engine based on Irrlicht's core to the Android platform), but I'm really not sure when it will happen as many other thing are keeping me still busy at this time ... :roll:
DtD

Post by DtD »

Ah, sweet. I had stopped following the platform due to the Java crap. Glad to hear that they finally added C++.

~DtD