Creating Tiles

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding game design, integration of external libraries here. For irrEdit, irrXML and irrKlang, see the
ambiera forums
eddielexx

Creating Tiles

Post by eddielexx »

I would like to know is there any posibility to create and manipulate with tiles in Irrlicht ? I am makin 3D version of Simutrans, and I would like to copy its tiles in my game. I want firstly to generate terrain, I know how to do that, but when i get terrain, how to divide it in tiles, and is there any way of manipulating with them? PLZ I need help :D
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

You need to provide links (at least), also you need to find the techniques that are required to render the tiles, the file formats they are provided in, etc. Also, full source code is open - why don't you just check how simutrans makes it?
eddielexx

Post by eddielexx »

Yeh, but Simutrans is 2D, I need to convert it in 3D. I tought just to add free zooming, that is the only thing I want to add, but, Simutrans models are in 2D(isometric) and It seems I have to rework entire graphic subsystem. Any hint how to do that :D

http://simutrans.com/
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Well, sounds like that's the only way, yes.
Ulf

Post by Ulf »

If you want to be able to move around the objects and change the perspective, then you'll have to make 3D models. You'll need 10 graphics artists.. hehe..

It's really no use if you just want to zoom in and out because the textures will just be pixelated and coarse. If you want to zoom in to a 2D texture, you'll need higher resolution graphics which you normally draw further away, then when you zoom in they will still look sharp.

There is not much use for zooming in to a 2D game is there?
I can hear birds chirping
:twisted:

I live in the Eye of Insanity.
eddielexx

Post by eddielexx »

Well, textures and models are lesser problem, I really need a way to extract graphic engine from the game. I'm gonna ask on Simutrans forum. I downloaded source code, but it is CHAOS
rekk1986

Re: Creating Tiles

Post by rekk1986 »

eddielexx wrote:I would like to know is there any posibility to create and manipulate with tiles in Irrlicht ? I am makin 3D version of Simutrans, and I would like to copy its tiles in my game. I want firstly to generate terrain, I know how to do that, but when i get terrain, how to divide it in tiles, and is there any way of manipulating with them? PLZ I need help :D
A provide link is necessary i am sure that. You can convert it or u can apply eddielexx's idea. That's good :lol: