What are the plans for Irrlicht 1.8 and further?

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
sudi

Post by sudi »

3DModelerMan wrote:I've been fascinated with event systems lately. Would anyone like it if I improved the event receiver?
What do you want to improve? I think the only thing thats missing is a option to connect functions directly to gui events like in any other gui sdk.

lets say you create a button

IGUIButton* button = gui->addButton(...);

now have either

button->addListener(EGET_BUTTON_CLICKED, functionpointer);
or
button->addListener(EGET_BUTTON_CLICKED, someClassPointer, &someClass::methodpointer);

this doesn't have to be implemented in the IGUIElement. This was just an idea. maybe instead.

gui->connect(EGET_BUTTON_CLICKED, button, funcPointer);
or
gui->connect(EGET_BUTTON_CLICKED, button, someClassPointer, &someClass::methodpointer);

and then ofcourse the corresponding disconnects incase the the IGUIElement or the connected class runs out of scope/is deleted
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
Brainsaw

Post by Brainsaw »

BlindSide wrote: [...]
The shadow system I am implementing in Irrlicht is NOT XEffects, it is a completely new system using skills which I have learnt while updating XEffects over it's lifetime.
[...]
I really hope a new shadow system is going to make it into 1.8. I also hope that the API changes necessary for that are not too big.
Dustbin::Games on the web: https://www.dustbin-online.de/

Dustbin::Games on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dustbingames/
Dustbin::Games on twitter: https://twitter.com/dustbingames
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

Brainsaw wrote:
BlindSide wrote: [...]
The shadow system I am implementing in Irrlicht is NOT XEffects, it is a completely new system using skills which I have learnt while updating XEffects over it's lifetime.
[...]
I really hope a new shadow system is going to make it into 1.8. I also hope that the API changes necessary for that are not too big.
I second this.
tinhtoitrangtay

Post by tinhtoitrangtay »

Support FreeType Font
Support CG Shader
slavik262

Post by slavik262 »

FreeType Fonts and Cg would be really nice to see. While it works, the current font system has some big drawbacks based on how it works (i.e. all letters must be evenly spaced, etc.).

Cg would serve really well in mind of Irrlicht's cross-platform mission.
stefbuet
Competition winner

Post by stefbuet »

Freetype support can't be achieved because of its licence if I remember well.
But there is an awesome freetype wrapper availlable in "project announcement" topics!
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

freetype 2 uses BSD style license, so should be ok. Question is how big the whole system would become, so maybe it would require a separate download of that dll.
The application for GSoC is out, so maybe some of those additions can be done by a student of GSoC this year (in casse we're chosen). If you already have something in the pipeline, or want to work on some of these extensions, just check if you could apply as a student. Here's the list of projects we provide: http://www.irrlicht3d.org/wiki/index.ph ... .IdeasGSoC
DeM0nFiRe

Post by DeM0nFiRe »

PUT FIRE BREATHING DRAGONS IN IRRLICHT!

No, but seriously:
Sudi wrote:
3DModelerMan wrote:I've been fascinated with event systems lately. Would anyone like it if I improved the event receiver?
What do you want to improve? I think the only thing thats missing is a option to connect functions directly to gui events like in any other gui sdk.

lets say you create a button

IGUIButton* button = gui->addButton(...);

now have either

or
button->addListener(EGET_BUTTON_CLICKED, someClassPointer, &someClass::methodpointer);

this doesn't have to be implemented in the IGUIElement. This was just an idea. maybe instead.

gui->connect(EGET_BUTTON_CLICKED, button, funcPointer);
or
gui->connect(EGET_BUTTON_CLICKED, button, someClassPointer, &someClass::methodpointer);

and then ofcourse the corresponding disconnects incase the the IGUIElement or the connected class runs out of scope/is deleted
I think irrlicht definitely needs that. It would make the gui so much more useful.
DtD

Post by DtD »

Sudi wrote:
[...]
I actually made a system similar to this for my even receiver, although it wasn't quite as specific. Basically, I gave my event receiver a "Thing" (like a scene node) and an element and any events on that element got forwarded to the thing.
tinhtoitrangtay wrote:Support FreeType Font
Support CG Shader
[...]
Both of these and post-processing.

~DtD
Nalin

Post by Nalin »

hybrid wrote:freetype 2 uses BSD style license, so should be ok.
It uses a BSD style license. The only restriction is that you must add a "credit" line somewhere in the documentation of the project that uses it:

Code: Select all

Portions of this software are copyright © <year> The FreeType
    Project (www.freetype.org).  All rights reserved.
sash
Competition winner

Shadows

Post by sash »

It would be nice to see some shadows improvements.

p.s. GUI. Personally I don't see any urgent needs for GUI modifications. There are a couple of use options already: dispatching method or class, chained or derived event receivers etc. It's rather a matter of some particular application logic. What is really missing - some more usability of existing GUIEditor.
DeM0nFiRe

Post by DeM0nFiRe »

Nah, we need listeners on the GUI. It would make using the GUI so much more natural.
d3jake

Post by d3jake »

Although it isn't nearly as impressive as say, special effects, etc. I'd like to implement a function that supplies debug code in the irrXML reader. Sometimes it would be useful to know which line\node\attribute of an XML file is causing a crash in a program. Not only for the initial development, but also for error handling.

I don't think that this is Earth-shattering, but it would be cool for me as I would be able to contribute something (albeit small) back to Irrlicht.
The Open Descent Foundation is always looking for programmers! http://www.odf-online.org
"I'll find out if what I deleted was vital here shortly..." -d3jake
xDan
Competition winner

Post by xDan »

There is a "public domain" True Type rasteriser:
http://nothings.org

The code is a lot smaller than other things like zlib included with Irrlicht. I haven't looked into it in much detail though.
pippy3

Post by pippy3 »

xDan wrote:There is a "public domain" True Type rasteriser:
http://nothings.org

The code is a lot smaller than other things like zlib included with Irrlicht. I haven't looked into it in much detail though.
Nice find. That code would need some cleaning up though.