Old Hardware vs Vertex/Pixel Shaders

A forum to store posts deemed exceptionally wise and useful
hub

Old Hardware vs Vertex/Pixel Shaders

Post by hub »

Is there any way to get my geforce2mx to support vs/ps via some emulation? (don't tell me to use the default rasterizer - I just want to emulate this stuff not all rendering/rasterization process.) And so, I seem to be the only one dissatisfied with the introduction of shaders into Irrlicht :?
r2d2

Post by r2d2 »

IMPOSSIBLE
R2D2's Irrlicht Mods
Messed up with my database so the page is not working at the moment -.-
CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6700RAM: 4096 mb Graphics: Radeon 4850 512mb Sound: on board InternetConnection: DSL
hub

Post by hub »

Impossible to be dissatisfied or to emulate? :)
Anyway thanks!
ventilator

Post by ventilator »

vertex shaders can be emulated in software with directx but i don't know how to enable this with irrlicht. emulating pixel shaders isn't possible.
Jedive

Post by Jedive »

I seem to be the only one dissatisfied with the introduction of shaders into Irrlicht
What's the problem with shaders? If you don't want them, just don't use them. You still have the features of previous versions.
r2d2

Post by r2d2 »

Yeah its possible if you code special software drivers but thats VERY slow. And it's also VERY difficult.
R2D2's Irrlicht Mods
Messed up with my database so the page is not working at the moment -.-
CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6700RAM: 4096 mb Graphics: Radeon 4850 512mb Sound: on board InternetConnection: DSL
Jedive

Post by Jedive »

Yeah, definitely not worth the effort. After all, you can get a shader-capable card for 100 - 120 €.
Luke923

Post by Luke923 »

Actually, DirectX emulates vs1.1 on the CPU rather quickly - although, not as fast as on the GPU. ps any version, however, doesn't emulate well, and can be quite slow. Luckily, the code for emulation of vs1.1 is the EXACT same code for writing to the GPU as DirectX handles all the emulation.

Hope that helps.
"Object-oriented programming is an exceptionally bad idea which could only have originated in California."
- E.W. Dijkstra
ssbfalcon

Post by ssbfalcon »

Wait... is the geforce2mx better or older than Geforce 2 GTS? I got vertex shaders to work under Open GL...

Post by Guest »

Thanks for all the feedback!
I've found that GTU (GeForce Tweaking Utility) is capable of forcing NV20 emulation (and NV25 but it requires some specific drivers.) It seems to be pretty fast and works fine, yet still I feel it's high tome to upgrade my hardware:)
Oh, Jedive, what I meant was that there was such a nice feature implemented and I couldn't use it. I'm far from considering per-pixel lighting inferior to the standad OGL lighting:)
hub

Post by hub »

Last one was mine...