Hey I'm bored, want to help with some game

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding game design, integration of external libraries here. For irrEdit, irrXML and irrKlang, see the
ambiera forums
devsh
Competition winner

Hey I'm bored, want to help with some game

Post by devsh »

Hey all, I'm currently a bit bored. I'd like to help with a project, just for fun. In case you dont know what I am capable of, search my posts (most notably image attachements). I just need to be steered in a direction because if I dont have a boss, I just fly in all directions and not accomplish anything. I am of good use for anything, you will gain the most if you assign me to shaders, however I can do networking and nvidia physX quite well. I do not have experience with other physics SDKs so I might fail at these (need to be trained). I can contribute for free, under any licence UNLESS you want to patent my code (which is not that great so not likely to happen).

Before you give me an offer there are some requirements:

-Your project must have you and someone else working on it OR it must already be somewhat playable like Front Warrior/Marble Race/Yass/etc.
-It must be already started, so minimum 10k lines of code written
-It must be compilable OR easily portable on linux (not a lot of windows dependency)
-You must have some tool of online collaboration, IRC/msn/skype with addition to SVN
Furtherly if you intend me to work on graphics:
- The thing must run on openGL driver or not use HLSL

Unlike many people, I am happy to work on a MMO.
Kalango

Post by Kalango »

So...you basecly want people to share projects with you following your own requirements?
seriously?
grumpymonkey

Post by grumpymonkey »

yeah good luck with that
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

you got the whole message wrong... I just dont work on d3d or windows that is why the reqs are there. It's just to save people from contacting me if they work for these specifically
sudi

Re: Hey I'm bored, want to help with some game

Post by sudi »

devsh wrote: -It must be already started, so minimum 10k lines of code written
That requirement is just insane. incase your not programming the next big whatever 10k lines is a finished game.
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

Amongst the many other things, no d3d or windows definitely kills it for me.
Escen
Competition winner

Post by Escen »

That's a pity, just wanted you to get involved, but I only have 8k of lines.
Well no deal then...
netpipe

Post by netpipe »

message me on irc devsh i've got a couple good project to work on. and a cattle prod zapper
Live long and phosphor!
-- https://github.com/netpipe/Luna Game Engine Status 95%
freetimecoder

Re: Hey I'm bored, want to help with some game

Post by freetimecoder »

Sudi wrote:incase your not programming the next big whatever 10k lines is a finished game.
Damn I knew I did not want to programm that, now Magnon already has more than 20k lines *panics*

No seriously, those are pretty hard requirements for a "just being bored" programmer.
I can understand the multiplatform aspect, svn is also nice, but what about this?
-Your project must have you and someone else working on it OR it must already be somewhat playable like Front Warrior/Marble Race/Yass/etc.
-It must be already started, so minimum 10k lines of code written
Yea, I know, you want to ensure that the game will be finished, sad thing is, those conditions do not guarantee it.

You could at least lower those standards and I think your boredom will end sooner ;)

greetings
DtD

Post by DtD »

Perhaps instead of demanding no D3D/Windows you can offer to help with porting.
Kalango

Post by Kalango »

Also, you could easily share your achievement codes to ppl, like creating a repository, or even with tutorials, that would help a lot... and it wont require linux dependencies or code line milestones.
Last edited by Kalango on Fri May 28, 2010 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

not no windows, just linux compillable (no windows depends)

gimme 2 days to fix internet plz, thn reply
Escen
Competition winner

Post by Escen »

gimme 2 days to fix internet plz, thn reply
WOW, fixing internet... is there any space for a feature request? uhh... like Teleportation
roelor

Post by roelor »

Looks like some guys have their period, chill dudes.
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

ISPP .. Internet Service Provider Monthly download limit? ISP period

It occurs monthly

anyway, I've pm-ed the Front Warrior guy, I could really see my skills in use there.