Drawing my own fonts

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
saigumi

Drawing my own fonts

Post by saigumi »

I looked at the set font and realized, it can't be that simple, can it? yellow dot for the top left, red dot for the bottom right?

I guess I can have them be any size I want and Irrlicht's getFont can parse it?
Crud, how do I do this again?
Krampe

Post by Krampe »

I would guess so. But perhaps you want to use the IrrFontTool - it will create bitmap fonts for Irrlicht. I wasnt able to run it, though (memory error).
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

True, if your converting a True-type font that is already made and most likely licensed. (These people get just as fanatical about their intellectual privacy as the RIAA does.)

I'm drawing my own sets from scratch (3 fonts) and would rather not install a font making software as many of them cost $50 to $500 to license. Instead, since it appears that all I do have to do is hand draw my fonts on a bitmap and seperate them with a yellow and red dot in opposite corners, I'm a happy camper.
Yo

Post by Yo »

Krampe wrote:I would guess so. But perhaps you want to use the IrrFontTool - it will create bitmap fonts for Irrlicht. I wasnt able to run it, though (memory error).
Hi Krampe, where can i find that fonttool?? is it in the source of irrlicht??
I can't find it in the irrlicht-0.4.1 package.
FleshCrawler

Post by FleshCrawler »

its in the 0.4.0 SDK :)
I've been absent for really long, but i'm ready to reign my terror on you once again, mwuahahahahaha
Yo

Post by Yo »

thanks Krampe
Krampe

Post by Krampe »

Fleshcrawler != Krampe :)
knightoflight

Post by knightoflight »

hey, saigumi, one question:
if i use such standard fonts like Arial or Times New Roman from Windows, then i get no licence-problems, or what ???
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

Good question. The usage of those two fonts don't run foul of the license.

MS licensed Arial. Really, it made it but hid it in a child company.

http://www.ms-studio.com/articles.html

If you use a bitmap font, then it's already free, because bitmap
fonts are not copyrightable (in the US, at any rate; I'm not familiar
with the law everywhere).

If you mean a physical font, the same is also true.

If you mean a programmatic font, like True Type then it has a license similiar to a software license. Converting these to a bitmap could possibly be a No-No if they are not allowed to be embeddable. There is a flag that you can check in the font properties.

If you mean a bitmap font, like the output of METAFONT, then it's like
any other bitmap font, and it's already free.

Some artists/fontmakers add their copyright to a font and sell licenses to use that font.

Like - http://www.typeright.org/feature2.html

Now, as far as using fonts that come standard with the OS, there isn't a problem because that font is part of the OS and is licensed by the OS creator for you to use. I can't remember off the top of my head if Linux has the actual or an imitation font.

There are also "open source fonts"... try Google.