Dev C++ or Code Blocks

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...

Which do you prefer

Code Blocks
38%
Dev C++
8%
MSVS
46%
Other
4%
Dude I use *nix
4%

Total votes: 48

Wulf

Dev C++ or Code Blocks

Post by Wulf »

As the subject says. I am curious, what you guys feel is better for building in. I have tinkered a bit with both and I am using MinGW as my compiler, as I'm not a fan of MSVS.

Just curious is all I appreciate input, good or bad, hope I dont get flamed though for not liking Visual Studio :oops:
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

Dev C++ is outdated. As simple as that.
On the other hand Code::Blocks is still under active stat.
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Dude, the Unix guys sometimes also use Code::Blocks ;-)

But anyway, Dev C++ hasn't been active for around 5 years now, so we usually recommed codeblocks which is still in active development. Or the MSVS, which you don't like, when I have projects which will only run on Windows I usually use that one (mainly because of it's debugger).
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
Ion Dune

Post by Ion Dune »

Dev C++ is, in my opinion, horrifically buggy and terribly in need of active development. Code::Blocks is good, but I use Visual Studio since I'm on windows and I love the debugger. If I intend to release anything, though, I will probably just dump the code files into a folder and compile it using Code::Blocks to avoid licensing issues and annoying unnecessary dependencies that msvc likes to create.
DarkDepths

Post by DarkDepths »

When I'm on Windows, I use MSVS 2008 (I don't like the looks of the newer ones). When I'm on my Linux machine, I use code::blocks.

I feel equally comfortable in both of them. However, I chose vc++ because intellisense seems to work better than code::blocks alternative.
PI

Post by PI »

C::B for sure with MinGW! Open source + cross platform FTW! :)
nathanf534

Post by nathanf534 »

Eclipse for me :D, seems like nobody else uses it, but its pretty awesome. Its open source and supports multiple programming languages.
while(signatureEmpty){cout<<wittyComment();}
DtD

Post by DtD »

MSVS on Windows, and on Linux I just use nano/pico to edit. (Mainly because a lot of my linux stuff with our code happens over SSH to solve problems.)
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

Code::Blocks is also *nix compatible, isn't it?
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
PI

Post by PI »

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaah :) I'm on Ubuntu 10.04.
Nalin

Post by Nalin »

I do most of my development work in Visual Studio 2010 because of the amazing Intellisense and debugger integration. For Linux, I use Code::Blocks. C::B has been getting a lot better, but just doesn't compare to Visual Studio's ease of use yet. For me, anyway.
ceyron

Post by ceyron »

Why not use CodeLite or NetBeans, both are good and work quite well under Windows and Linux
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

Nalin wrote:I do most of my development work in Visual Studio 2010 because of the amazing Intellisense and debugger integration. For Linux, I use Code::Blocks. C::B has been getting a lot better, but just doesn't compare to Visual Studio's ease of use yet. For me, anyway.
I learnt how to configure the projects in Visual Studio based on how it was done in C::B :lol:
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
serengeor

Post by serengeor »

I used VC++ 2005, 2008, 2010 and lately switched to code::blocks and I actually feel more comfortable with code::blocks !Lightweight Beast it is! :D
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
REDDemon
Developer

Post by REDDemon »

Visual studio for the intellisense feature, but i've heard that eclipse is good too.
Junior Irrlicht Developer.
Real value in social networks is not about "increasing" number of followers, but about getting in touch with Amazing people.
- by Me