Ubuntu 10.04 and compiling

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
paradoximo

Ubuntu 10.04 and compiling

Post by paradoximo »

Hi

I've got an stupid error when i'm compiling source downloaded from svn

Here is the log from terminal:

kamil@kamil-laptop:~/irrlicht/source/Irrlicht$ make
g++ -Wall -pipe -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -fstrict-aliasing -g -D_DEBUG -I../../include -Izlib -Ijpeglib -Ilibpng -I/usr/X11R6/include -DIRRLICHT_EXPORTS=1 -c -o CIrrDeviceLinux.o CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp
CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:26:33: error: X11/Xcursor/Xcursor.h: No such file or directory
CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp: In member function ‘virtual bool irr::CIrrDeviceLinux::run()’:
CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:1023: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp: In member function ‘Cursor irr::CIrrDeviceLinux::TextureToARGBCursor(irr::video::ITexture*, const irr::core::rect<int>&, const irr::core::vector2d<int>&)’:
CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:2011: error: ‘XcursorImage’ was not declared in this scope
CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:2011: error: ‘image’ was not declared in this scope
CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:2011: error: ‘XcursorImageCreate’ was not declared in this scope
CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:2020: error: ‘XcursorPixel’ was not declared in this scope
CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:2020: error: ‘target’ was not declared in this scope
CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:2032: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘pixelCol’
CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:2039: error: ‘XcursorImageLoadCursor’ was not declared in this scope
CIrrDeviceLinux.cpp:2041: error: ‘XcursorImageDestroy’ was not declared in this scope
make: *** [CIrrDeviceLinux.o] Błąd 1
kamil@kamil-laptop:~/irrlicht/source/Irrlicht$

It seems like i haven't required library but i have all which were in wiki to download...

! hour ago i made an system update and i doesn't compile again

Please help!

[In ubuntu 9.10 and 9.04 all worked but i had to reinstall the system and install it again]
conallmmcg

Post by conallmmcg »

did u install build-essential?
( sudo apt-get install build-essential)

or could be you haven't got x11 development headers/libraries?

edit: noticed your post in another topic, the reply about xcursor was probably more accurate lol
paradoximo

Post by paradoximo »

conallmmcg wrote:did u install build-essential?
( sudo apt-get install build-essential)

or could be you haven't got x11 development headers/libraries?

edit: noticed your post in another topic, the reply about xcursor was probably more accurate lol
Yeah i have build essential -_- without it i wouldn't have to type "make"...

X11 devs should be in this OR i'm wrong

sudo apt-get -y install build-essential xserver-xorg-dev x11proto-xf86vidmode-dev libxxf86vm-dev mesa-common-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libxext-dev

I don't know ://// I doesn't compile...

Please help...
PI

Post by PI »

Hi!

I'm on 10.04 too. Irrlicht compiled all right for me. (I haven't tried to compile the SVN version, though.)
Just follow the instructions on the Wiki!

Cheers,
PI
conallmmcg

Post by conallmmcg »

i can confirm this issue, i have compiled irrlicht many times successfully
using the same way the wiki instructs, but i just downloaded trunk and i am receiving the same error after making.
if i find a fix i will post :)

edit: sudo apt-get install libxcursor-dev - this should do the trick :)
i think the wiki should be updated for this?
since it will stop a lot more posts like this one
paradoximo

Post by paradoximo »

cnallmmg: THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VERY VERY BIG THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PI: You just have the xcursor dev lib installed on hdd... I hadn't ;) but thanks for reply... cheers you too ;)))

UPDATE THE WIKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FOR ALL UBUNTU 10.04 USERS which can have the same stupid error as i have
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

It's a wiki... the idea of a wiki is that everyone can update it as soon as he has additional information. So just do it ^^
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
conallmmcg

Post by conallmmcg »

done :)
PI

Post by PI »

@conallmmcg: Thanks for the solution! :)

@CuteAlien:
It's a wiki... the idea of a wiki is that everyone can update it as soon as he has additional information. So just do it ^^
Really!!! :shock: I've completely forgotten about this :oops: So now I've added the newer Ubuntu version names to the topic.

Cheers,
PI