Particle systems & shaders

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
random

Particle systems & shaders

Post by random »

a pictrue tells more than 1000 words:

http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/big/43qm-5e.png

what i used untill now is a point emitter parented to a billboard whis iss parented to a spaceshipmodel, a attraction affector, a fade out affector and a scale affector.

but im not realy satisfied with the result... can someone tell me if for that kind of what i want is a manual, a trick ... something.

thanx in advance
raincool

Post by raincool »

looks nice. it can be more nice. :lol:
random

Post by random »

thx but a hint what i might can do to create the desired effect would be nice also.
Darktib

Post by Darktib »

It seems particle are not transformed when the system is transformed.
What you have to do is to make every particle child of theship, so that when the ship rotates particles rotate too.

Anyway, your particle effect is nice!

PS: There is a particle engine named SPARK that allow you to do this easily, see in my signature^^
sudi

Post by sudi »

well i don't think that they used particles. that looks like axis aligned billboards. irrlicht doesn't have such a scenenode implemented but u can use my beamscenenode which is somewhere on the forum. that will look like that. and for the halos just do a simple post process.
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

You can try the Volume scene node that got added by Varmint a while back.
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
random

Post by random »

@ Sudi, i found your script here http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... mscenenode i changed just 1 line (because it produces an error) it runs but i can see nothing(no line).

i am using 1.71

@Darktib i will try to find out how make each particle a child of the ship not just only the particle node...

@BlindSide i will search and try

thx to all
random

Post by random »

@Sudi, it works now i forgott to do a

beam->render();

into the while loop

but there is a problem until i use

Code: Select all

material.MaterialType = video::EMT_TRANSPARENT_ADD_COLOR;
material.MaterialType = video::EMT_TRANSPARENT_ALPHA_CHANNEL;
one of those the cross will disappear.

any solution for that?
sudi

Post by sudi »

hey random thats not my scenenode.

mine is actually a scenenode.

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... light=beam

use that!
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
random

Post by random »

ahh ok, fine and it turns the face to the camera, thats nice...

but in case of the setLine() function uses a relative endpoint depending on the "start" point (start = 10,0,0 and end = 50,50,50 will result absolute end = 60,0,0) i added a setLineAbsolute function to it.

cpp

void CBeamSceneNode::setLineAbsolute(core::vector3df start, core::vector3df end, f32 thickness)
        {
            setPosition(start);
            m_start = core::vector3df(0,0,0);
            m_end = end-start;
            m_thickness = thickness;
        }
h

void setLineAbsolute(core::vector3df start, core::vector3df end, f32 thickness);
and sorry i renamed it because i allready had the other beamnode insde now it works perfectly for a laserbeam... iam still in saerch for the booster because the beam looks nice but isent animated.

thank you very much.

[/code]
sudi

Post by sudi »

well you can create a animated texture with the texture animator and attach it.
random

Post by random »

oh thanx i will try it need to make the images first...

Currently i will go on working for the other (laserweapun) effect,
try to Implement a triangleselector to my spaceship nodes because if the target is on the opposite side of the ship´s laserturret it will shot throug the own ship, that look not nice.

Do you know if i need to use the octreeTriangleSelector for that?