Character System Demo (feat. Miku Hatsune) MKII

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
fmx

Post by fmx »

No, the physics are generally very stable, otherwise you would see the vertices exploding everything and the ponytails would disappear totally.

if you are referring to the wonky behavior of the tie (and occasionally the ponytails), then that is because I was being lazy and didn't fine tune the parameters enough :oops:

The most popular physics engines use eular integration internally, there are ways to improve on the 1st order inaccuracies

@shadowslair
interesting feedback, I appreciate it :D
This is just a small demo in its own right, and you can forget about iPhone, polycounts, physics inaccuracies and distracting ponytails;
I only mentioned them to set a context for why I am interested in the general range of framerates: to serve as a benchmark for future tests and demos (there will be more)

This demo was not intended to demonstrate my 1337 shader skillz or physics coding abilities, nor was I aiming for totally realistic behaviour.
Its just a framework, another step in the evolution of my engine

On the whole, I had lots of fun experimenting with this Miku model, and I figured it was high time I gave something back to the community in the form of an interactive demo.

Also something for the Miku fans out there (there are quite a few) :mrgreen:
stefbuet
Competition winner

Post by stefbuet »

most popular engines are using euler ?
Are you sure ? I thought they were using RK4.
I'm currently developping a small physic engine and I've been working on the runge kutta fourth order math demonstration (as it's a school project which have to be pushished on paper) for 1 week . :evil:
ArakisTheKitsune

Post by ArakisTheKitsune »

fmx wrote:
ArakisTheKitsune wrote: It also crashes in DirectX9 when I set Shadowmap depth 16 bit float
So it works correctly with 32bit float shadowmap?
Or do you have to disable shadowmapping completely?
It works correctly with 32bit float shadowmap.
Knowledge is power, understanding is wisdom.
tinhtoitrangtay

Post by tinhtoitrangtay »

You can upload source code. Thanks
wing64
Competition winner

Post by wing64 »

Very nice character. :D
- OpenGL FPS: 332
- D3D FPS: 267
- both OpenGL & D3D -> resolution 1280x1024, shadowmap 1024, depth 32 bit, post fx 1024x1024
- on system i7-930, Radeon HD4670
Valmond

Post by Valmond »

Very cool !

OpenGL : around 375-397fps on a 8800GT (Virion update your drivers ;) just kidding, it's CPU bound on my E8400 3.6Ghz)

Have you thought about a clothing system?
fmx

Post by fmx »

I had clothing in mind, but for games there is usually no need to simulate whole clothing over arbitary human meshes, only need physics at key places such as sleeves and long sections that hang and are influenced more by gravity

It does appear to be CPU bound, almost everyone has been getting framerates in the region of 200 to 400 regardless of their graphics cards.
Must be all my inefficient physics code...

@wing64
you use PhysX in your projects a lot, do you have the latest PhysX SDK?
I tried to register for a PhysX Developers Forum account but even after a month they haven't replied to me with the activation details :x

@ArakisTheKitsune
I tested the demo with my onboard GeForce6150LE and I got the same odd results:
shadowmapping doesn't work at all with GL, and only works on DX with 32bit shadow depth buffer

It seems that these cards dont support floating-point formats for RTTs, DX9 driver probably emulates 32bit through ARGB8 or something

Thanks for the feedback all :D
wing64
Competition winner

Post by wing64 »

- Yes, Latest PhysX SDK.
- Cool down, I think your account activate soon :D
roelor

Post by roelor »

:? mediafire doesnt work for me..
ent1ty
Competition winner

Post by ent1ty »

That must suck

EDIT: Oooo Yeah!
irrRenderer 1.0
Height2Normal v. 2.1 - convert height maps to normal maps

Step back! I have a void pointer, and I'm not afraid to use it!
fmx

Post by fmx »

Try MU: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2TD2DZK4

I have updated a lot of features in my engine recently, I will probably upload a new binary altogether for this demo soon.
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

There is someone on the network downloading 1.61 GB already, the curious thing is THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEONE DOWNLOADING STUFF :evil:, so i really can't dl it at the moment :(
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
Lonesome Ducky
Competition winner

Post by Lonesome Ducky »

If anyone is having trouble with the links, I uploaded it to dropbox (if you have a problem with that fmx, I'll take it down): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4241114/FMX_Cha ... chDemo.rar
fmx

Post by fmx »

thanks Ducky although I dont think you need to host it

I uploaded it to a box.net account, should be good enough for everyone struggling with MU or mediafire
http://www.box.net/shared/18n5czh8rv

It has a 10GB monthly bandwidth limit, I doubt this one file will even scratch the surface.
There's always RS, sendspace, and a handful of other alternatives
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

Hi, FMX.

Here are my current specs:
Windows Vista(fr) - Quad Core 2.66Ghz, 4Gb ram
NVidia GTX 460

Driver: DirectX 9.0
Resolution: 1024x768 windowed

GPU Skinning ON: (Everything off except GPU Skinning)
800 FPS

GPU Skinning ON + Shadow:
554 FPS

GPU Skinning ON + Physic + Collision:
250 FPS

ALL ON:
215 FPS

GPU SKINNING OFF + Shadow:
218 FPS

GPU SKINNING OFF + Physic + Collision:
143 FPS

GPU Skinning OFF: (Everything OFF)
240 FPS

Driver: Open GL
Resolution: 1024x768 windowed

GPU Skinning ON: (Everything off except GPU Skinning)
920 FPS

GPU Skinning ON + Shadow:
570 FPS

GPU Skinning ON + Physic + Collision:
390 FPS

ALL ON:
295 FPS

GPU SKINNING OFF + Shadow:
250 FPS

GPU SKINNING OFF + Physic + Collision:
205 FPS

GPU Skinning OFF: (Everything OFF)
300 FPS

Remark: For an unknown reason, the FPS performance increased with GPU Skinning when I shutted it down once and re-activated it. The numbers provided there are when I've done this.

I really see a huge difference with GPU Skinning (DX from 240 -> 800 FPS), (GL from 300 -> 900 FPS). If theses numbers are really true, that would be a thing to hope that we would have in the future on the next releases of IRRlicht.