Update the web page? :)

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
serengeor

Update the web page? :)

Post by serengeor »

Main page is missing some new tutorials, as I think new users would like to see more tutorials on the main page.
Also external tutorials have broken links, like:
Orthogonal 3D Engine
Seamless World & Repeating Seamless words
Irrlicht & RakNet
Working on game: Marrbles (Currently stopped).
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

since non of us here has the authority to change anything on the website, maybe we should make an unofficial irrlicht website. :P
Strong99
Admin

Post by Strong99 »

@Virion
That would be the wiki I think... thats something we can edit.

That said... Maybe we should link the tutorials and such directly to the wiki tutorial page?
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

maybe we should make a blog and update everyone with the latest news, projects and screenshots related to irrlicht. 8)
agamemnus

Post by agamemnus »

Just wondering... I've heard before about problems editing the main website... so:

Why would no one have the authority to edit the main website? Is the person who does (I'm guessing the initial dev, niko (?)) dead/in a coma/in a crazy house? :P
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Hm, well, I thought I would have given everybody in the dev team the rights to edit everything on the website by now. But I'll have a look into the always changing sourceforge settings again.
agamemnus wrote:Is the person who does (I'm guessing the initial dev, niko (?)) dead/in a coma/in a crazy house? :P
Or option D: a bit of everything? :)
slavik262

Post by slavik262 »

He's alive!
grumpymonkey

Post by grumpymonkey »

for real the website needs to be updated. Maybe there should be a group of web developers to control it instead of mods and the dev team since they don't seem to have the time
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Yeah, several of the devs have access to the websites. In case there are interesting things on the wiki we could also get them over to the main website. But IMHO, Wiki content was usually where it should be. Not because it was not good enough, but because it was content which might need some updates over time. Mostly code snippets and link collections.
Larger website updates usually died because no one of the dev team found time and will to change the foundations and install all those fancy stuff we might need for easier handling of the content. And no one else volunteered for updates of the pages in their current style. So it remains as is as long as no major changes of the general situation will occur.
slavik262

Post by slavik262 »

hybrid wrote:Yeah, several of the devs have access to the websites. In case there are interesting things on the wiki we could also get them over to the main website. But IMHO, Wiki content was usually where it should be. Not because it was not good enough, but because it was content which might need some updates over time. Mostly code snippets and link collections.
Larger website updates usually died because no one of the dev team found time and will to change the foundations and install all those fancy stuff we might need for easier handling of the content. And no one else volunteered for updates of the pages in their current style. So it remains as is as long as no major changes of the general situation will occur.
In other words, nothing is going to happen unless a web dev in the community volunteers. The devs are busy with other things, such as coding Irrlicht.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Well, IMHO even worse. If no ne of the dev team will have much spare time, the major changes of the underlying framework won't happen at all. We cannot give this job easily to someone else - this needs to be at least manageable by the dev team.
So unless someone else would volunteer to update the website with its current setup not much will change.
Dan911

Post by Dan911 »

How about people start making some mock-up's as to what new website should look like? I think irrlicht needs a totally redesigned website, not just link fixes and information updates. I am an experienced web developer, but i am only skilled with database/server side coding. My art design skills are atrocious, but I will help in anyway i can :)
agamemnus

Post by agamemnus »

Well, I think the design is just fine as it is, besides the issue of adding new tutorials and broken links.

I'd hate to see the site become flashy, unwieldy and un-viewable correctly in 800x600. (as many sites are now doing... neglecting the 800x600 users! :evil:)
Eigen
Competition winner

Post by Eigen »

I doubt any serious developer can get away with such a small resolution for their workspace. Other people might have 800x600 but they're unlikely to visit the site.
Adler1337

Post by Adler1337 »

I'd hate to see the site become flashy, unwieldy and un-viewable correctly in 800x600.
I would hate to see the site become too flashy, but 800x600 :shock: I think my cellphone has a bigger screen :lol:
multum in parvo