updated relo video tutorial #4

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
afecelis
Admin

updated relo video tutorial #4

Post by afecelis »

Since it was so big and sloppy, I decided to split tutorial04(dll compiling) into 4 parts to make the download smaller and more understandable.

same download link:
http://www.danielpatton.com/afecelis/vi ... _tut04.zip

have fun!
bal

Post by bal »

Hehe, today I did them all and Relo is up and running :). Though, a little fault. In the first tutorial (I think it's that one) you say that you don't need to change anything to the msvc.ini file but you have to change the export directory of the Irrlicht dll :). Anyway, extremely nice work and thx for spending your time on this!

Edit: maybe could also make a tut (not nessecary a video-tut), on how to get from a 3DS to a LMTS (using FSRad or LMTools) because I still don't know exactly how to do this :)
General Tools List
General FAQ
System: AMD Barton 2600+, 512MB, 9600XT 256MB, WinXP + FC3
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

hehehe, thnx bal! I forgot to include you in my credits as my only tut fan!!!! lol!

your comments are most welcome and motivating. You're right about the ini file. But in tutorial #4 I make a big remark on this, and how you have to modify the dll line according to your system.

but most of all, I'm so glad you got it up and running! What were you using before, devc++? have you noticed any improvements in filesize or performance? let me know.

and of course I have thought about writing a tutorial on 3d stuff, file loading, lightmaps and it might as well be on video since it's easier than writing, so that is a good idea for my next tutorial.

thnx for everything!!! I'll let you know when I get the nex tut ready.
bal

Post by bal »

I was using Visual Studio .NET 2003. Filesize and performance are better with Relo! My compiled dll with VS was 1032kb, with Relo 964kb. I also discovered a small increase in FPS. Relo is also a good IDE except for the searching part, it seems you can't search through the whole project...
I had some troubles compiling the dll. The famous libci.lib error. I didn't found an option to ignore certain libraries in Relo like there was in VS and sought on the web for "C++ ignore library command". Then I added /NODEFAULTLIB:libci.lib to the Linking parameters and tadaa, it compiled. Though it still said the build was failed, there was a .lib and a .dll in my folder :).

Relo is fine and opensource so I'll think I'll leave VS alone for a while :P.
General Tools List
General FAQ
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

gr8!

Didn't know about ignoring lib files in relo. Where did you place those options, in the msvc.ini file? or directly into the project's options?

thnx for reporting. I'm glad it's also working fine for u.

:D

The error messages, as I said, are normal, but you'll still get your dll and lib in the folder, and that's what we need.

and yup, too bad Relos still lacks of many of the cool features in MSVC, but being a free alternative Iguess it's a very good one !!
:D :D
bal

Post by bal »

I placed it there:

Tools -> Project Options -> Extra Linker Switches: /NODEFAULTLIB:libci.lib

But I guess it'll also work if you place it somewhere and at the right position in the .ini file :).
General Tools List
General FAQ
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

thnx!

I also tried adding it in the ini file and it also works well.

ok, now I'll start working on other tuts. The best time for me is on weekends, when I'm off.

let's see what comes out!
:wink:

cheers!