SuperTuxKart 0.7 - official release

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Yeah, I tried to reproduce it a lot of times, but failed doing that since my last post. Before that I think I run into it 3 times. So bug obviously only happens when you don't think of it! What was happening was that it freezed completely like in an endless loop.

Also joypad problem hasn't been reproducible since then. I guess it might simply be a driver problem once in a while - I remember it also did go away often in my racer once I moved the joypad once.

But aside from that the game is great, I wasted half my weekend on playing it through :-) And I liked the reward you get when unlocking everything.

Some minor stuff that could be improved:
- Background music always stops playing once you finished a tournament and start the next one (some sound samples still play).
- Should remember the last selected name - you always get back to guest.
- The time that thing that blocks the view is stuck on the face feels way too long. Also it should at least vanish after you respawn.
- A few rough edges in the maps could be made smoother. Especially the bars in the miner-tunnels get really annoying as you don't just get to full stop, but also have a hard time steering away afterward. Also the last corner in that lava level started to get too frustrating.
- In a few maps it's hard to see where the track leads to. Especially in that garden map, but there's also one place in the alien-map (after the long blue part comes an basically invisible right-corner going downward). A few more visual clues there would make those more enjoyable imho.

Despite that - great work, that's the best Irrlicht game I've played so far.
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
Auria
Competition winner

Post by Auria »

Hi,

thanks for testing and for the feedback :)
CuteAlien wrote: Some minor stuff that could be improved:
- Background music always stops playing once you finished a tournament and start the next one (some sound samples still play).
I don't understand what you mean, sorry. What is the problem to fix here?
CuteAlien wrote: - Should remember the last selected name - you always get back to guest.
Weird, "guest" should only ever appear in multiplayer games :( for single-player the most used name should be selected by default
CuteAlien wrote: - The time that thing that blocks the view is stuck on the face feels way too long. Also it should at least vanish after you respawn.
Ok, I can tweak this :)
CuteAlien wrote: - A few rough edges in the maps could be made smoother. Especially the bars in the miner-tunnels get really annoying as you don't just get to full stop, but also have a hard time steering away afterward. Also the last corner in that lava level started to get too frustrating.
Could you show the exact area in mines?
CuteAlien wrote: - In a few maps it's hard to see where the track leads to. Especially in that garden map, but there's also one place in the alien-map (after the long blue part comes an basically invisible right-corner going downward). A few more visual clues there would make those more enjoyable imho.
Agreed, I can tweak this too :)
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Auria wrote:Hi,
CuteAlien wrote: Some minor stuff that could be improved:
I don't understand what you mean, sorry. What is the problem to fix here?
The background music does stop and not start again. So if you play more than one tournament you no longer have background music. Only tested on Linux, don't know about other OS.
Auria
Competition winner

Post by Auria »

Thanks for the clarification. You are the second person to report this, but I never witnessed it myself. On what OS was it played? The other time I heard about this, it was on Windows 7 (and OpenAL error messages were being logged to the terminal)
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Hm, yeah - there had been some errror logs about AL_INVALID_VALUE and I think a few more, I'll take a closer look next time (takes a while playing to get this). The OS is Debian Lenny.
fritzgryphon

Post by fritzgryphon »

Near the end of Crescent Crossing, there is an S-turn that can be completed faster by driving a straight path over the dirt, rather than following the track. The dirt doesn't slow the car down. Not a bug, but doesn't seem intended.
Auria
Competition winner

Post by Auria »

CuteAlien wrote: Hm, yeah - there had been some errror logs about AL_INVALID_VALUE and I think a few more, I'll take a closer look next time (takes a while playing to get this). The OS is Debian Lenny.
Ok, don't spend much time on this, I have just figured what is a very likely cause for this issue (it appears that we leak sound sources, and OpenAL has a limited amount of them, so when too many have leaked and the max is reached then this would happen)
fritzgryphon wrote:Near the end of Crescent Crossing, there is an S-turn that can be completed faster by driving a straight path over the dirt, rather than following the track. The dirt doesn't slow the car down. Not a bug, but doesn't seem intended.
thanks, fixed :)
easy

Post by easy »

Thanks for this game, it's a really nice work!

Last time I've played the non-Irrlicht version, and I think the Irrlicht version looks and feels better. I can see the lot of effort you guys have put into this game! It's already very complete, and it'll be even better when more game modes are added.

I have played it under Ubuntu 10.04:
- The FPS is overall good,
- The gameplay is really fun,
- The maps and nice but could have more detail,
- The carts are cute but some could use some drawn or baked AO because now they look flat. (e.g. Konqi) Some wheels has hard edges. (Pidgin)
- The splash screens and the menu is great,
- When the archievement pops out of the treasure chest, the animation is really slow,
- Also when playing the win/lose animations on the characters, it's a really slow motion
- The sounds and the music is really good too, but it only plays one music all the time for me

I really like what I've seen, congratulations guys! :D
Keep up this great work!

Cheers,
easy (aka PI)
Auria
Competition winner

Post by Auria »

easy wrote:Thanks for this game, it's a really nice work!

Last time I've played the non-Irrlicht version, and I think the Irrlicht version looks and feels better. I can see the lot of effort you guys have put into this game! It's already very complete, and it'll be even better when more game modes are added.

I have played it under Ubuntu 10.04:
- The FPS is overall good,
- The gameplay is really fun,
- The maps and nice but could have more detail,
- The carts are cute but some could use some drawn or baked AO because now they look flat. (e.g. Konqi) Some wheels has hard edges. (Pidgin)
- The splash screens and the menu is great,
- When the archievement pops out of the treasure chest, the animation is really slow,
- Also when playing the win/lose animations on the characters, it's a really slow motion
- The sounds and the music is really good too, but it only plays one music all the time for me

I really like what I've seen, congratulations guys! :D
Keep up this great work!

Cheers,
easy (aka PI)
Hi,

thanks for the nice feedback :) several of the points you mentionned we wish to work on

Just one question about this particular point however : "- The sounds and the music is really good too, but it only plays one music all the time for me"
Can you elaborate? I'm not sure I understand what you're describing.We have a known (and fixed in SVN) bug that musics eventually stop being played when you race for a while - but I'm not sure this is what you're talking about
easy

Post by easy »

Can you elaborate? I'm not sure I understand what you're describing.We have a known (and fixed in SVN) bug that musics eventually stop being played when you race for a while - but I'm not sure this is what you're talking about
Whichever map I've tried out, the very same music they were playing. It was surprising - though understandable -, because I thought every map would have a different race music. I've heard the same music on at least 4 maps.

But I'm at work now, I'll re-check it when I get home! :)

P.S. I had no stops in the music!
Auria
Competition winner

Post by Auria »

That's very weird, what music was playing? Normally we have (almost) one song per track
easy

Post by easy »

It wasn't your fault. I suspect it was due to the Pulseaudio driver, which tends to have problems when playing music and sounds, especially when a Windows game have crashed WINE before (which has happened), and it feels like it cannot clear some buffers and keep on repeating. (It's really random and annoying, btw.) Anyway, I've checked it today, and really, every map I've played had different music, so it was a false alarm, sorry! :)
hiker

Post by hiker »

Hi,

we have just uploaded a second release candidate. Major changes:
  • Asian fonts are now included in the package.
  • Several memory leaks have been fixed (which had caused problems with music and sound effects)
  • Some tracks were improved to disable unintentional shortcuts and incorrect rescues.
  • Some minor bug fixes.
We also updated the translations, but not all translations are complete yet. We encourage all translators to complete their translations, as the strings are now frozen, and we expect to do the release within a week. Details about translating STK are on our translation page, check Launchpad to see what is still outstanding (click on 'View all languages').

Testing and feedback welcome!

Cheers,
Joerg
kazymjir

Post by kazymjir »

reldy awsome gmae.
antd those colors. and smilesys everythwere.
lve thsi game.

thanks you
hiker

Post by hiker »

Hi all,

after over a year of work, dozens upon dozens of new and fixed bugs, over 3000 commits, a lot of work from artists, restless testing from our faithful followers, and translations from contributors all over the world, we are thrilled to offer you SuperTuxKart 0.7 just in time for Christmas.

Binaries as usual on our download page, screen shots etc. can be found on our web page.

Again a thanks to the irrlicht developers here for their support. We hope you enjoy this release.

Cheers,
Joerg & Auria