SuperTuxKart 0.7 - official release

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
fmx

Post by fmx »

Congrats on finishing the project :D
Its a very cool game
easy

Post by easy »

WOW, congrats on releasing it guys! 8)

I hope I'll have a chance to try it out soon...

Also, I've discovered hungarian transalations the last time I've played it since I'm on the dev ppa, it was a real surprise!

Thank you! :)
hiker

SuperTuxKart 0.7.2 released

Post by hiker »

Hi all,

we have just released SuperTuxKart 0.7.2:
New features:
* Added in-game addon manager
* Fixed major memory leaks
* New Snow Peak track by Samuncle
* Improved star track UFO by Rudy
* New Beastie kart.
* Show when you get a highscore
* Improve gamepad configuration under Windows (add ability to tell gamepads apart)
* Various other tweaks done and glitches fixed

The files can be downloaded from our download page. It is actually based on a current development version of irrlicht (r3843), since we needed some bug fixes in irrlicht 1.7.2, but we didn't want to wait for the official 1.8 (or 1.7.3) release.

I hope you will enjoy this release! Feedback as always is welcome (best in our forum).

Cheers,
Joerg
kazymjir

Re: SuperTuxKart 0.7 - official release

Post by kazymjir »

Just downloaded the game and played a bit, very nice!
It remembers me good old games when I was very young, like Toon Car.

Btw, when I started the game, everything was in polish language.
Are you from Poland or just somebody did translation to polish language?
hiker

Post by hiker »

kazymjir wrote:Just downloaded the game and played a bit, very nice!
Btw, when I started the game, everything was in polish language.
Are you from Poland or just somebody did translation to polish language?
We recently added code to automatically detect the language setting on windows (and also a language switching widget). STK is actually translated in more than 20 languages (including Hebrew, so we have RTL support).

Cheers,
Joerg
kazymjir

Post by kazymjir »

Is there any plans in creating (online) multiplayer?
I wanted to play this game with some my friends, but unfortunately I didn't found option to play this game through the Internet.

I think online multiplayer will be great feature for this game, that's lot of fun playing with friends instead of algorithms :)
Auria
Competition winner

Post by Auria »

Yes, multiplayer is planned, but this will need some time because this is a difficult feature :)
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Nice improvements, I like the track-changes which have been made, especially that lava-level plays a lot better now.

A few things I noticed... (all with svn revision 9385)

I get a crash when I do the following: Select "Race" -> highlight own name -> click menu select twice with joypad (so once to select and then just without doing anything once more in the next screen). Does not happen when clicking with mouse. Is reproducible here, but maybe caused because I had an own profile from a former version?

The "INSTALL" file should probably better tell to use "make NDEBUG=1" to build Irrilcht instead of "make" as release builds are way faster.

After clicking "continue" in Championship the screen gets always half-black for a moment so only lower part of screen visible.

Between races it would be nice to see how many races of a championship are done/left.

And just my preferance - in championships I'd like having a continue button as well after first result screen to see longer how everyone placed in a race.

All in all - lots of fun playing it :-)
IRC: #irrlicht on irc.libera.chat
Code snippet repository: https://github.com/mzeilfelder/irr-playground-micha
Free racer made with Irrlicht: http://www.irrgheist.com/hcraftsource.htm
Auria
Competition winner

Post by Auria »

Hi CuteAlien,
CuteAlien wrote:Nice improvements, I like the track-changes which have been made, especially that lava-level plays a lot better now.
CuteAlien wrote: A few things I noticed... (all with svn revision 9385)

I get a crash when I do the following: Select "Race" -> highlight own name -> click menu select twice with joypad (so once to select and then just without doing anything once more in the next screen). Does not happen when clicking with mouse. Is reproducible here, but maybe caused because I had an own profile from a former version?
I'm not sure I understand, sorry. If you have a crash, however, we would certainly be interested in getting a backtrace from gdb
CuteAlien wrote: The "INSTALL" file should probably better tell to use "make NDEBUG=1" to build Irrilcht instead of "make" as release builds are way faster.
Good catch, we had actually forgotten about this file! I have updated the file to now point to our webpage, which is where the up-to-date instructions are anyway. thanks
CuteAlien wrote: After clicking "continue" in Championship the screen gets always half-black for a moment so only lower part of screen visible.
Hmm I cannot reproduce here
CuteAlien wrote: Between races it would be nice to see how many races of a championship are done/left.
Agreed, good idea, will create a ticket
CuteAlien wrote: And just my preferance - in championships I'd like having a continue button as well after first result screen to see longer how everyone placed in a race.
hmm maybe, not sure, we don't want to annoy players by requiring them to click "next" too much :)
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

Reproducing crash - highlight your own name in the race menu and then click it 2x with a joypad.
backtrace:
#0 0xb7fe2424 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
#1 0xb7be9751 in *__GI_raise (sig=6) at ../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/raise.c:64
#2 0xb7becb82 in *__GI_abort () at abort.c:92
#3 0xb7e0953f in __gnu_cxx::__verbose_terminate_handler() () from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
#4 0xb7e07405 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
#5 0xb7e07442 in std::terminate() () from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
#6 0xb7e080f5 in __cxa_pure_virtual () from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
#7 0x08110ede in GUIEngine::SpinnerWidget::transmitEvent(GUIEngine::Widget*, std::string&, int) ()
#8 0x080cb81f in GUIEngine::EventHandler::onWidgetActivated(GUIEngine::Widget*, int) ()
#9 0x080cbf48 in GUIEngine::EventHandler::processGUIAction(PlayerAction, int, unsigned int, Input::InputType, int) ()
#10 0x0811f4ee in InputManager::dispatchInput(Input::InputType, int, int, Input::AxisDirection, int) ()
#11 0x0811fcd2 in InputManager::input(irr::SEvent const&) ()
#12 0x080cbdc7 in GUIEngine::EventHandler::OnEvent(irr::SEvent const&) ()
#13 0x08255841 in irr::CIrrDeviceStub::postEventFromUser(irr::SEvent const&) ()
#14 0x0824ae5f in irr::CIrrDeviceLinux::run() ()
#15 0x0809f18b in IrrDriver::update(float) ()
#16 0x080568bb in MainLoop::run() ()
#17 0x080549c7 in main ()

Error is "pure virtual method called". Maybe because I use Irrlicht trunk?

I noticed one other small quirk - sometimes before starting a track I see very short 2 polygons which are maybe drawn with wireframe (on an otherwise empty screen).

Can't help much more about the half-black screen. I can reproduce it always, but not sure what it could be and it's too quick to catch on screenshots. The black part and the visible part are not switching on a single line, but it has a certain angle (so it's probably not vertical retrace which I suspected first, also didn't go away when I changed that setting) - maybe some huge polygon.
Auria
Competition winner

Post by Auria »

Cutealien; thanks for the backtrace and the bug report. This issue has been fixed in r9390 :)
mongoose7

Post by mongoose7 »

I have a problem starting a race using a joystick on WindowsXP. The game thinks I am trying to jump the start. If I use a negative bias, I shoot backwards at high speed. So, I have two choices:

1. Accelerate before the start - I get a one-second penalty
2. Brake before the start - I shoot backwards.

I was wondering if there is configurable dead zone?
Auria
Competition winner

Post by Auria »

I'm sorry, at this time it is not possible to configure the deadzone
kazymjir

Post by kazymjir »

I have an idea for new weapon that can improve the game a bit.

In game called "Toon Car" you can find two weapons (not sure that names are the same):
- stupid rocket
- intelligent missile

Stupid rocket is a weapon, that launched is heading to the closest enemy,
but enemy can make some maneuvers to try avoid rocket (which hit for example tree instead of player).

Intelligent missile is a weapon, that launched is heading to the enemy on the 1st position in race.
This is damn hard to avoid this missile because it's "intelligent", so it's avoiding all trees and other obstacles just to hit enemy on the 1st position.
There is some way to avoid hitting by that weapon, due to that missile is on 1st player back for a few seconds,
so if that player will hit brakes and some other player overtake him the missile will follow (and in result hit) that second player, because he is now on the 1st position.

Examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh-rsgeuPGg
2:56 - player have "stupid rocket" weapon and launches it in 3:00
3:09 - player launches "intelligent missile"

Why I think that weapons such as these can improve game?
Victory of almost each race is decided on the start of race.
If enemy on the start will hit you using some weapon, your car will stop for a moment and other players will run forward.
And it's damn hard to overtake them later.
Same is if you will fall off from track and have to reset car.
In Toon Car you have always change to get again to the 1st place thanks to these weapons,
in SuperTuxKart you have very, very, very little chances to get again into 1st place.

What do you think about that idea?
CuteAlien
Admin

Post by CuteAlien »

I think there is already the anchor which slows down the leading player. And the parachutes slowing down all guys in front of you. It's actually rather diffucult staying in first place unless you manage to get a very good headstart (in which case you really earned the win I think).