Irrlicht mascot: Fairy, Dwarf or something else?

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...

Irrlicht's mascot should be...

somekind of a Fairy
62%
somekind of a Dwarf/Viking
19%
other (post your opinion)
19%

Total votes: 42

fmx

Irrlicht mascot: Fairy, Dwarf or something else?

Post by fmx »

Following up from aek's topic it would be cool to get a better idea what the community thinks the irrlicht mascot should be

IMO doing an open art contest is not going to be too helpful at this time, but irrlicht should definitely have a distinct mascot before 2.0 is reached

Indefinite voting, anything goes, choose wisely :wink:
Kalango

Post by Kalango »

Some sort of robot...!
could be a robot fairy or a robot viking...
Still, since irrlicht mean crazy ghost lighting ball... we should think something that follows its name...
Maybe a scene:

PS: maybe some comp like the "Irrlicht in motion" competition....
We could design some sort of swamp/forest scene with will-o-wisps flying arround (shaders, lighting, post processing, volumetric textures, all sort of stuff allowed)....
kazymjir

Post by kazymjir »

It's nice that somebody started topic like this, thanks fmx :)

I think that artists should put here their visions of Irrlicht mascot and users will the best work. What do you think?
ent1ty
Competition winner

Post by ent1ty »

Kalango wrote:We could design some sort of swamp/forest scene with will-o-wisps flying arround (shaders, lighting, post processing, volumetric textures, all sort of stuff allowed)....
I'm on it, just what i need :)
irrRenderer 1.0
Height2Normal v. 2.1 - convert height maps to normal maps

Step back! I have a void pointer, and I'm not afraid to use it!
fmx

Post by fmx »

I just dont find "crazy ghost lighting ball" very intriguing :P
What about a wispy kind of Faerie that is MADE out of such "crazy ghost lighting balls"?

Its kinda tough to find reference art for it though:

Image Image

If you haven't already noticed, I am quite partial towards having somekind of a Fairy as the irrlicht mascot

or a grim reaper

xDan
Competition winner

Post by xDan »

Fairy! But please not something cliche and over sexualised... :S [breasts within normal parameters..!]

a slightly mad/crazy looking fairy? (it is "mad-light" isn't it?) You imagine the will-o-the-wisp to be a bit evil... leading people astray in the swamp..
kazymjir

Post by kazymjir »

xDan wrote:Fairy! But please not something cliche and over sexualised... :S [breasts within normal parameters..!]
:(

i think Fairy is good idea, but she should look very dynamic and agile (from agility, i dont know that used correct variety of that word),
because irrlicht is lighting fast engine, so mascot must show that :)
Kalango

Post by Kalango »

I think fairy is gay.
Other engines would look at irrlicht and say:
"Look at that gay fairy princess engine...oh i'm so sissy!"
Dwarf-robot wrath upon them!
fmx

Post by fmx »

Fairies are generally very feminine and non-macho, that doesn't bother me (and the 12 other people that voted for Fairy) but its clearly not for everyone

IMO irrlicht needs a mascot that is gender neutral, at the very least with zero sex appeal.

Dwarves and Robots are too mechanical and material, irrlicht is a lot more flexible than that
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

if we look at the definition of a Graphics SDK mascot (Ogre..., Blender Monkey) then we see it is used rather a lot to showcase the graphics. It's not a scene, but a single model which can be used to test AO, GI, HDR, Scattering or even skin rendering.. Some sort of a well equipped dwarf viking with a LOT of defined armor geometry, displacement mapping and specular maps would be the best mascot.
roelor

Post by roelor »

fmx wrote:Fairies are generally very feminine and non-macho, that doesn't bother me (and the 12 other people that voted for Fairy) but its clearly not for everyone

IMO irrlicht needs a mascot that is gender neutral, at the very least with zero sex appeal.

Dwarves and Robots are too mechanical and material, irrlicht is a lot more flexible than that
I agree, maybe some god like kind of thing, but that would tell people we have a god complex...
d3jake

Post by d3jake »

A fairy lends itself to special effects: Lighting effects, particle systems, translucency of the wings, etc.

It may make it easier to blend in an example of an "irrlicht", I did a search and irrlicht translates (roughly) to ghost light, or will-o-wisp.
The Open Descent Foundation is always looking for programmers! http://www.odf-online.org
"I'll find out if what I deleted was vital here shortly..." -d3jake
Mel
Competition winner

Post by Mel »

A kind of Fairy would be the most suitable image for the engine, IMO, It is small, flexible, friendly and makes miracles!
"There is nothing truly useless, it always serves as a bad example". Arthur A. Schmitt
Kalango

Post by Kalango »

It is still gay.....
Would be nice if it looks as well done as the fairy from NVidia samples.
fmx

Post by fmx »

@Kalango: You keep using the word "gay" but I'm sure that's not what you mean :lol:

The NVidia Fairy is taken, so it would have to be something different.
I suggested Robot Fairy in the other topic, but I dunno...

Perhaps we do need an open art/render competition afterall