How do I use quark to make maps for the irrlicht engine?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
skel1

How do I use quark to make maps for the irrlicht engine?

Post by skel1 »

could someone maybe give a quick run through of saving and using a map from quark, keeping in mind that i don't have quake3. I have a .map to .bsp converter, but when i convert the maps and load them into the game, it complains about not finding the textures that i had imported into quark. So i can load the mesh, but i don't understand where it's looking for the textures
----

old post:
Hi, i am wondering if there is a such thing as a free level editor that can make irrlicht compatible maps. I've goofed around with qtkradient a bit, but can't get it to work because I don't own a copy of quake3... and actually, I have no 'mainstream' 3d games installed (half life, quake2, etc) for use with any of the other level editors (quark, worldcraft).

I took all the tutorials marked as easy on the tutorial page, and right now I'd really rather not go any furthur until I'm sure i have all the necessary tools to complete a game. I have 3dstudio max, but it makes a horrible horrible level editor. I'm craving for something that works along the line of worldcraft if it exists.

I downloaded a .map to .bsp converter for making maps in quark, but I get the error "error::filesystem::path" I'm guessing this is because of a minconfiguration in quark...... but i couldn't tell you as really don't know :)

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Also, the fonttool that comes with 0.4 doesn't work on my win98se computer. The first couple of tries it creates a black bitmap of seamingly random size. Then eventually it gives me a memory error. :o
Last edited by skel1 on Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
skel1

Post by skel1 »

i did a search on the forum for level editors and apparently people got hammer to work........ *downloads* I'll post if i have anymore problems :)
skel1

Post by skel1 »

when using the .map -> .bsp converter....... what should be in the "baseq" folder? (If anyone knows? Damn me not for owning quake3!)
skel1

Post by skel1 »

is anyone familiar with this converter?
http://map3bspc.sourceforge.net/

that could lend a hand? Thanks so much :)
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

Wow.. that's a really good description of how the tool works on their page.

You may be able to find someone who knows about it more on their forums.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/map3bspc
Crud, how do I do this again?
skel1

Post by skel1 »

I got a map made in quark to compile to bsp format but the textures aren't showing up now. the bsp is invisible when i load it. I can't use the quake3 bsp maker because i don't have quake3
skel1

Post by skel1 »

Wow.. that's a really good description of how the tool works on their page

Yeah i thought so to. After downloading said tool, i felt immediately productive and was able to generate professional looking error messages in a matter of minutes :shock:

I would love to know how everyone else is making their maps. I did a search and apparently some of you are actually using max for making maps.... No way, that's just not for me, i'll take mine in the flavor of carving and brushes.

I just need to crank out a couple of small maps so I can get 'the show on the road' if you know what i mean.

I can conver the quake 3 .map files into .bsp files now, and they load, but no texture...
skel1

Post by skel1 »

maybe this error message will help someone to help me?

C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\hw>project1.exe
Starting up...
Irrlicht Engine version 0.4
Warning: Could not find texture in Q3 .bsp:textures/grass
Warning: Could not find texture in Q3 .bsp:textures/bluesky
Loaded mesh:maps\Newmap.bsp
Needed 0ms to create OctTree SceneNode.(0 nodes, 0 polys)

Where do i put the textures 0_o
skel1

Post by skel1 »

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
skel1

Post by skel1 »

just getting a map editor to work with the engine is becoming a very frustrating thing. If i keep going at this pace, i might need to smash my computer into 1,000 pieces then go live in mounts in solitude in fear of my own destructive powers :!:
t

Post by t »

I'm using milkshape 3d to make maps. It works. I don't have quake 3 and I couldn't get the other tools to fully work.
skel1

Post by skel1 »

i don't have any money for milkshape :(

Right now i'm broke and honestly can't spare the 20-30 somewhat dollars milkshape costs.

I would just love for the textures to load on this .bsp i made, so that i can get on with my life.
skel1

Post by skel1 »

:!: :evil: :!: :?: :!:
Ash

Post by Ash »

t wrote:I'm using milkshape 3d to make maps. It works. I don't have quake 3 and I couldn't get the other tools to fully work.

Get quark.
Krampe

Post by Krampe »

Warning: Could not find texture in Q3 .bsp:textures/grass
Warning: Could not find texture in Q3 .bsp:textures/bluesky

I dont know if thats helpful, but the error message is clear... if you examine the Quake3Map Tutorial of Irrlicht, you will find a .pk3 file which you can open with Winrar or Winzip. Inside this zipped file, you'll find a directory which is called "texture", and there are your texture files, which are missing for your map.