C.A.T.T. 16

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki

What do you think of the idea?

Great! Let me help!
38%
Good, start working.
25%
Better than boredom.
No votes
Please DO NOT!!!
38%

Total votes: 8

The Hellcat

C.A.T.T. 16

Post by The Hellcat »

Hey all, I'm starting my first Irrlicht project:

C.A.T.T. 16

Colonial Anti-Terror Team 16

Background:
The year is 2086.
Welcome to Earth's moon.
You are Lieutenant Leo H. Kraft of the lunar colony Ergo Police Department.
You are a member of a tactical anti-terrorist team, CATT, number 16.
The residential module you lived in was just destroyed by terrorists, killing your newly-wed wife.

Your rules have changed: shoot now, think later.

Game Style
- Third person shooter
- Futuristic lunar-colony setting
- Comic plot-progression (Hello, Mr. Payne...)

Well, what do ya think?
HTML/CSS/Javascript/ASP/PHP/SQL/XML/QBasic
Next Up: C++
Armen138

Post by Armen138 »

oki, first of all, your story sounds like something from a bad movie
terrorists, killing your newly-wed wife??? seen this one in a bunch of bad movies actually(a man apart?)
then, the setting, also sounds very familiar... an alien world, havent we seen this in halo, unreal,
halflife, etc....?

oki, enough with the bashing your ideas into the ground now, time to say something positive:

games in 3rd person view are always cool, but hard to make... think about how they messed up
combat controls on prince of persia(the camera rotating and turning the controls around just when its least convenient)

and a plot, so its not some running around kill everything that moves thing then, whatever happened to shoot first think later? well anyway, thinking about a plot/story before starting
on this is always a good idea, but if you dont tell us about this plot, how do we know what the
game is going to be about?

now, something that has been said before and will be said again:

people do not join projects that dont have anything to show!
if you want help, you will have to come up with something yourself first,
show us screenshots, or even an animation, show us what you can or cannot do.
what exactly are you looking for, are you just offering an idea and expect others to make
it for you, or are you all into programming and need help on 3d modelling, or whatsup?

anyways, heres my advice: work on your idea a little longer, turn it into something
original and interesting, then start writing code until you got something to show that
really shows what your plans are, what your skills are, and what you need help on.
then, maybe, you will find the right people to help you out....

good luck :)
if you're looking for me, start looking on irc, i'm probably there.

Post by Guest »

I havent seen a man apart :(
The Hellcat

Post by The Hellcat »

ok, points well taken.

i wanted to keep my post brief as to not bore the members :P but ill elaborate a little.

Here's a little more into the plot:
in 2050, the US established the first lunar colony. this was not taken well from various parties (foreign countries, religious fundamentalists,etc.)
by 2070, there were 11 US lunar colonies, and more planned. religious fundamentalists all over had been attempting the whole time to disrupt colonization, but their efforts produced nothing.
finally, in 2082, one group of wealthy, politcally powerful men took fate into their own hands. they kidnapped and mentally reprogrammed a young college student destined for lunar law enforcement.
without knowing, this young college student, Leo Kraft, would be the destroyer of US lunar colonization. thru a sequence of events that he himself would fight, Leo would ensure the doom of colony 12 and bring colonization to a standstill.
ending scene:Leo floating towards Earth in his zeroAir suit, realizing how futile his actions had been, adding up all the information he uncovered.

Well, shoot now think later...Leo will for a short time be leading CATT 16 before branching off on his own. during his leadership, he will not shoot first and think later. After an invasion of enemy forces begins on an uninhabited part of the moon while Leo is on patrol, Leo will indeed start to shoot now and think later.

I have started messing with coding, and I will need major help :P
I can do 3D models decently
I can do textures greatly. (Photoshop, I luv you...)

here's a general idea of the good guy character i'm thinkin about
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/ ... e/idea.jpg
(based off a ghost recon model)[/i]
HTML/CSS/Javascript/ASP/PHP/SQL/XML/QBasic
Next Up: C++
Tech^salvager

Post by Tech^salvager »

Yeah go for it if you really want to but I should warn you that it will take a while to create something like this. So don't give your hopes up after working on it for a like 3-4 weeks and only getting a couple models and some code done. Work at steady pace I recommend.
Tech^
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

Sounds awsome I'd love to see more games like this.

Plot with comedy is GREAT reminds me of anachronox a game I still play.

Best part for me would be 3rd person shooter, I love that style if you can make it work well. just don't do turn based crap. It's not as much fun.

@armen - The shoot first, think later. aspect is the charactors attitude not the story line. Think Metal Gear instead of Prince of Persia which was more of a puzzle game then shooter. and only gaming noobs and nit pickers have trouble with camera views in a game like that... it's not like they came at you very fast or anything it was an easy and fun game to play. try not to think so negativly bro. (or maybe that just wasn't your style.. whatever) Besides a camera is much easier to control with a mouse as apposed to a ps2 pad.

@tech - Great advice

@armen and guest - I havent seen a man apart either but I don't think story line is as important as the gameplay behind it.

And for what it's worth I think the story line sounds fine but personally I like it a bit more epic like final fantasy or something. But you'll have plenty of time to rethink that while pulling your hair out coding it all.