Valve Hammer Editor

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Ash

Valve Hammer Editor

Post by Ash »

How do i get valve hammer editor to work with this, do i just compile the map into .map format and do the code exactly like it would be from a quake 3 map or what?

Also, how would making a program to compile the map into my own format work? Would i just have it rename it or what?
skel1

Post by skel1 »

It's not as simple as changing the file extension. You need to literally convert it from .map format into a format either used by the engine, or a format that you write your own support for. If you need to ask, compiling 'into your own format' probably isn't what you're looking for.

I have had 0% luck getting anything from hammer editor to work in irrlicht, but i have had some moderate success using quark, only the textures aren't showing up..... I'm still trying to figure that out =)

There is a map to bsp converter, but it doesn't work with hammer's map files. Only from quark.
Ash

Post by Ash »

BSP is the mpa extension used by Hal-Life right? I already got several of thoes if they are. I was just wondering if Irrlicht supported BSP files.
skel1

Post by skel1 »

it supports bsp files, but i don't know if it will accept half life maps.

Try it and find out.
Ash

Post by Ash »

I just checked and half-life/counter-strike/all HL mods maps are in BSP format, so im guessing it will work, i will give it a try.
skel1

Post by skel1 »

tell me if your half life / tfc maps work. Right now i'm using quark, and it's not 'tickling my fancy'.
Ash

Post by Ash »

Well i tried it useing the Quake 3 Map tutorial and changing the map name to my CS map, and all i can see is a grey screen when i run it, it might not be loading the textures, but i dont know the command in the code to show where the textures are.
skel1

Post by skel1 »

reading the output in the console would be nice :)
Ash

Post by Ash »

I cant copy it because it locks my mouse.

It gives me error's with the mesh saying it cant find it:

scene::IAnimatedMesh* mesh = smgr->getMesh("20kdm2.bsp");scene::ISceneNode* node = 0;

When i change the "20kdm2.bsp wich is probably the maps name to my HL map it says it cant find/load it and that it must be unsupported.

scene::IAnimatedMesh* mesh = smgr->getMesh("data/maps/test.bsp");scene::ISceneNode* node = 0;