wooohoooooo! level started growing!!!

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
afecelis
Admin

wooohoooooo! level started growing!!!

Post by afecelis »

ok, here's a shot you might find interesting; it shows the 1:1 accuracy of zdimitor's exporter.

upper left: ingame shot
upper right: level in 3dsmax and test render
lower left: level in 3dsmax with baked lightmaps
lower right: ingame shot of the new aisle

once the level gets interesting I'll upload it for you guys to play with it!!

cheers!!! :D :D
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

Looks awesome!

Please upload, well be useful to learn!
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Nice! As always :)
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

thnx!!! :D :D

I'm also very glad and sattisfied with the results and the performance in Irrlicht. Now I'm trying to implement 3d audio to give the level some nice ambiance.

any results will be posted here.

Niko, I'm glad to see you're dedicating your sunday to catch up in the forums!!!!

:wink:

Post by Guest »

afecelis could you explain me how you texture your maps? how do you texture a mesh that the textures repeat them selves? i dont get it :cry: iam sitting here for atleast 5-7 hours trying to get this poop out :) messing with blender, export this, test that, crash this, write that.... no good results at all :roll:

to your level: looks very cool !! do you release a demo where we can walk in to look at it in 3D ?
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

@GfxStyler: thnx! Yup, I always release my demos once I've achieved something in particular. Once this level reaches that point I'll upload it. Thnx for the comments!

About texturing: well, I don't know about blender, but texturing is done in a pretty similar way in every 3d package, even in level editors like Radiant. You have to set your UV mapping coordinates for each of your meshes. UV mapping determines how many times a texture will repeat in the UV directions (U=horizontal, V=vertical, or you may also interpret it as XY or XZ coordnates), and what kind of mapping you need according to the mesh you're a ppying your texture to; so when you apply UV mapping coordinates to your mesh you can have: planar, cylindrical, spherical, shrink wrap, box, face and other types of mapping. So I guess it would be a matter of finding this option in blender (which I'm sure it must have). You know I'd help out more or create a tutorial for you, but I can't even make a cube in blender!!!! :D

A non UV mapped model will show up with all the textures screwed up. There are also external packages specialized on UV mapping models for texturing, like Ultimate unwrap 3d (which is also one of the best 3d model format converter I've seen).
htt://www.unwrap3d.com

hope it helps
(downloading latest version of blender to get more confused, lol!!!)
Harry_Mystic

Post by Harry_Mystic »

If you don't know this already a really good forum about Blender can you found under:
http://www.elysiun.com/index.php

Search for uvmap, uv mapping and unwrap
Blender has an internal unwrapper as well.

A small step by step tut about unwrapping and mapping
http://otothecleaner.free.fr/tutorials/ ... ttle4.html

If you have a fast internet connection:
http://www.ibiblio.org/bvidtute/
Tutorial "LSCM UVmapping", 48MB about 20 minutes (video with spoken explanations)

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Post by Guest »

i know this is not a max forum,but i will ask it anyway...how do you get baked textures right with uvw unwrap modifier?it keeps making that atumatic flatten modiefier on texture coords on the top of my own uvw modifer and messing my uvw set so i got wrong placement of the texture on the object.
quick way of how you doing it on a most simplest example should be very helpful.
thanx

Post by Guest »

woaaaahh thank you afecelis and harry !!! :D that helped me a looooooot 8) i didnt even know what exactly UV mapping was (i thought something like md2 mapping), now i try to get it to work and make a cool level :) iam so damn happy now *rofl* thank you very much, youre the man!
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

Glad it helped Gfx. :D

@Guest: in max5 or max6, select all of your models (they have to be textured and properly UV mapped, you must also have some lights placed in your level -casting shadows and others as fill lights); once you've selected everything, go to the render menu and select "render to texture", add a "lighting map" (make it 256x256 or 512x512) and add a "shadows map" (same size) and then hit "render". Your lightmaps will be created as tgas.

that's the process, and nothing should get screwed. The lightmapper does an automatic unwrap of the models but respects the original UV mapping.

after that, blending the lightmaps with the difuse maps is your job.

hope it helps!!!
Last edited by afecelis on Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

F*CK IT FU**IN WORKED !!! MUAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA :D i feel like a god ... i cannot thank you much enough harry&afecelis :) if there is something i can do for you please tell me (!) :wink:
Harry_Mystic

Post by Harry_Mystic »

Happy to know that this helped :D
bal

Post by bal »

GFXstyLER wrote:F*CK IT FU**IN WORKED !!! MUAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA :D i feel like a god ... i cannot thank you much enough harry&afecelis :) if there is something i can do for you please tell me (!) :wink:
I needed just the same. Thx to afecelis and Harry too :). But GFXstyLER, for exporting, do you keep everything in seperate meshes? Or do you join it together? I guess not but I'm not sure :).
General Tools List
General FAQ
System: AMD Barton 2600+, 512MB, 9600XT 256MB, WinXP + FC3
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

bal: don't merge your models. Keep everything separate, that way you wont get any errors when you load them in Irrlicht.
bal

Post by bal »

afecelis wrote:bal: don't merge your models. Keep everything separate, that way you wont get any errors when you load them in Irrlicht.
I just get errors when everything is seperated (with .x, but I'll need .3ds for those lightmaps (LMTools etc) and haven't tested that format yet).
General Tools List
General FAQ
System: AMD Barton 2600+, 512MB, 9600XT 256MB, WinXP + FC3