any tutorial to make running animation for fps game?...

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
Burns

any tutorial to make running animation for fps game?...

Post by Burns »

There is some tutorial to make the animation of run for a character of fps game , I have the models I just need the manual to make the animation...

PD: i use the MilkShape 3d 1.8.4
Image wwII game
-----
ImageXXI war game
Last edited by Burns on Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
shadowslair

Re: any tutorial to make running animation for fps game?...

Post by shadowslair »

Burns wrote:There is some tutorial to make the animation of run for a character of fps game
Is there sth fps game specific in the run cycle? Do the characters in a fps run differently?

You cannot expect a manual for each thing you may need. Unless your characters run all the time in your game, you gotta learn how to animate. As a whole, you need to:
1) Look for a tutorial on how to use the program for animation. Here`s what popped up after a quick search: http://homepage.eircom.net/~abyrne/Mode ... _tut09.htm

2) Play around with the character the way you would play with an action figure doll or sth- make him wave with his hand etc.

3) Once you have some idea of the whole process, if you cannot imagine in your head how such animation will look like, you can look for a reference- videos of persons running, walking etc. You can record yourself or a friend. You can find what are the basic keyframes for a run cycle (usually for run and walk you need 4 keys per side for a stride, unless you need sth more specific). Here`s how a run animation process looks like (sorry, but in Blender, but its not using curves): http://vimeo.com/7021199

4) Reading papers and watching videos alone won`t do the job- you gotta get your hands dirty. Practise makes perfect! Well, at least you can improve youself a lot. Learning to create a good, reallistic or lifelike animation is a science itself, you need to have idea of how objects behave as mass-systems, body anatomy, dynamics of motion etc. Luckily, with games we usually work with rough approximations...

PS: These are some nice models, but I really cannot imagine them used in the same game, unless it`s a TimeSplitters clone or sth... :D
"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."
devsh
Competition winner

Post by devsh »

where did you get the models?
shadowslair

Post by shadowslair »

"Although we walk on the ground and step in the mud... our dreams and endeavors reach the immense skies..."