Bindenlicht - Java binding for Irrlicht

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
William Finlayson

Bindenlicht - Java binding for Irrlicht

Post by William Finlayson »

There seems to be some interest in using the Irrlicht engine with Java, so I thought you might like to check out this binding.

I have only been working on it for a couple of days, so it is still very much a work in progress. However, I do have some examples up and running, including user-input. All of the details are in the readme.
William Finlayson

download link

William Finlayson

Um, sorry for the link, my firewall won't actually let anybody download it :(
I'm applying for a sourceforge page though, so I'll post back when I can get it hosted.
Policeman

Post by Policeman »

Sounds nice, but the titel is a bit strange. Literally translated it would be "to-bind-light". I think Bindelicht whould sound a bit beter, but you can lso consider 'Lichtbindung' which is a pun useing the german word "Lichtbrechung" = Refraction (Literaly Lightbreaking):

Lichtbindung (Lightbinding)

I'm a native german speaker.
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

To-Bind-Light, or Bindenlicht, sounds pretty accurate to me, since I take it the light part in Irrlicht refers to the claim that it's lightening quick that's on the main page, binding that speed to Java. Yep, sounds alright to me. Plus Lichtbindung sounds horrible I think, a very harsh word I think. Binderlicht is far softer on the ears. Of cause any word containing the word dung cannot be good :)
William Finlayson

It's here!

Thanks for the critique Policeman and Tyn, however, sourceforge have now granted my project under the name Bindenlicht, so for better or worse, it's staying :)

So, here's the link Bindenlicht

Please take a look, and let me know if it runs, or if there are any problems with the package, not only is this the first time I've had an 'official' public project, but I'm pretty new to Irrlicht. I've hopefully included all the information required to run it.

This is the original release, and it's pretty limited. I am packaging up a new one as I type this, so I'll have a go at getting it uploaded later today. It included several new examples based on Irrlicht tutorials.

One thing I was wondering - is it a good idea to include Irrlicht.dll with the binary release? I would guess that anybody wanting Bindenlicht already has Irrlicht, and could do without the extra filesize, but on the other hand, that is the version that I tested it with, so at least I know that it should work.
William Finlayson

Windows binaries for 0.1.4 have been uploaded now, extra examples, lots of cool stuff in there. The source will be up tomorrow, too tired right now :)

It might be getting a bit hefty for folk with dial-up, so in the next release I'll sperate the media files from the build, as they shouldn't change often if at all.
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Um, Tyn, Niko already explained that Irrlicht is German for 'fairy light'. And doesn't really refer to the speed of anything. He just liked the word.
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

Wow, how could I have missed that, I can go to the grave happy that I knew that now ;)

Does noone use the Java extensions for .net then? I would have thought that the engine bringing out this .net thing would have pretty much stopped development for these types of wrappers but it seems people still want them.
William Finlayson

.NET

The reason I don't use .NET, would be that to the best of my knowledge, Linux support for .NET still isn't quite there. While on the other hand, Linux has a rock-solid JRE, if not several. If anyone has managed to get Irrlicht working in Linux with .NET, then I would love to hear about it. But if you're going to use a cross-platform engine, with a cross-platform language, it would seem strange to lock yourself to Windows.

Plus, it's teaching me a lot about using Irrlicht, porting the tutorials certainly gets the information in :D
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Wow, nice project! Looks like big competition to jirr :) Just tried it out, worked just perfectly. :)
brcolow

Post by brcolow »

Wow this is awesome! I just testing all the demos and they work flawlessly. So, my question is, since Java has the ability to run in a lot of places...does this enable Irrlicht to run on a cell phone and all the other things Java 2 can run on. Obviously it would be like .000004 FPS on a cell phone but..where else could it run?

Thanks and great work!
G'Day.
joorce

Compilation

Post by joorce »

Hi

I'm glad to hear about this project.

How should I compile it?. I can't see any ant build file, Eclipse project or whatever. I personally will die for Eclipse project files.

Another thing, I see that you used swig to do the wrapping may you release also the .swig file(s). I would like to look at them for edicational purposes (I tried to do the same some time ago) and also because with the .swig everyone can contribute new methods in case the maintener is busy or lose interest in project.

Thank you and good luck.
William Finlayson

Wow, thanks for all the attention, I thought it had kind of died until this flurry of posts.

I'm glad the demos ran fine for you all :)

As to what devices it could run on, you would need the following to get it running:

Java runtime environment with JNI support,
An Irrlicht library compiled for that device,
the ability to compile the C++ wrapper library on the device.
Seeing as Irrlicht is only available on Linux and Windows, those are the only platforms it works on currently.

I didn't realize there would be interest in the swig file, but I'll be happy to put it in the next source bundle. The build process is a bit of a mess, so I didnt include anything with the source package. The way I released it, you need to do the following for the Java:

javac bindenlicht/*.java

And all the c++ files get built into libbindenlicht.dll/so

I'm using Dev-C++ for the C side, and just the command line for Java, but I am looking into adding some proper build files. I could release the .dev project file, but I'll need to edit out all the absolute file references first. Certainly I'll put in a standard make file, and I'll look at Eclipse/Ant.
joorce

Post by joorce »

If you use, or are willing to try, Eclipse you can check http://www.skwash.com. Is plugin that integrates support for swig. Sorry for sounding like an Eclipse evangelist ;)